Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com> on 2001/06/13 22:33:54 UTC

Strange handling of encoded URLs

I don't expect any instant advice on this, but the behaviour is so
strange that perhaps it is something someone has seen before:

The url I give to Turbine is a single parameter which is set to the
URLEncoded string of another URL.

http://maya:8080/gate/servlet/gate/jnlp/http%3A%2F%2Fstreamola.com%2Fisoc%2Fvcerf-hi.rm

what is strange is the order and behaviour of the processing:

2001-06-13 16:25:53 - SimpleMapper1: Found encoded char - it should have been decoded earlier
2001-06-13 16:25:53 - AccessInterceptor: Shouldn't happen - the request is decoded earlier
[Wed Jun 13 16:25:53 EDT 2001] -- DEBUG -- Building default layout
[Wed Jun 13 16:25:53 EDT 2001] -- DEBUG -- JNLP request for http:3A//streamola.com/isoc/vcerf-hi. from Mozilla/4.77 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.3-20mdk i686)

(the DEBUG messages are my own)

What is also strange is the result: It is not my Default.vm layout or
any other Layout, it is a blank set of page tags:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

Now I have three (more) questions:

1) What is it that SimpleMapper and AccessInterceptor are trying to say?
2) Why did my encoded URL get re-written to follow the colon with 3A?
3) What conditions would cause Turbine/Velocity to by-pass all Layouts?

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@teledyn.com> TeleDynamics Communications Inc

Re: Strange handling of encoded URLs

Posted by Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com>.

    g> 3) What conditions would cause Turbine/Velocity to by-pass all
    g> Layouts?

A: When some fool forgets to add the final line super.doBuild() to the
end of his very clever subclassing of VelocityECSLayout ;)

What is curious in this situation is that I would expect Turbine to
output nothing at all instead of reverting to this skeletal page.  This
may qualify it as a bug since, if I want to return raw data (eg a GIF)
or no data (as in http://www.teledyn.com/fun/Nothing), I wouldn't
want to have the default layout invoked at all.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@teledyn.com> TeleDynamics Communications Inc