Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Merve Temizer <me...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/24 16:53:24 UTC

Mail Storage on Disk

I could change default mail storage from JPA to maildir(disk folder).

I want to ask, i am going to have very much users and for now, James puts
all the mail into

james/var/store/maildir/{username}

I want to know if there is a mechanism which help me to storing mails into
sub folders/directories

and which is a time/performans efficient way both while storing and reading.

For example like b-trees which is used by Database Management Systems.

Re: Mail Storage on Disk

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Merve,

You can set the maildir top folder path via mailbox-maildir.properties,
but in no way, how the mails are stored under that top folder. Maildir
is a de-facto standard, so we simply respect it.

IMHO, it should perform better than JPA, and yes, we have a kind-of
b-tree index with lucene (deactivated by default, see messageSearchIndex
in [1]). However, I have seen a bootleneck atm when reading the list of
mails (uid files), and I am looking to fix it.

Thx, Eric

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailbox/trunk/spring/src/main/resources/META-INF/org/apache/james/spring-mailbox-maildir.xml