Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by James Milks <ja...@videotron.ca> on 2002/07/17 16:18:15 UTC

HELP! - Modifying Catalina.bat for RMI

Hi all,
I searched the archives on this one, but couldn't find any answers, sorry if
it is basic.

I rebuilt my laptop and decided to upgrade from TOMCAT 3 to TOMCAT 4 (on
Win2k pro with JDK 1.4). I managed to get everything working except RMI. I
suspect that I simply need to add a configuration option to catalina.bat in
the %_EXECJAVA% sections near the end of the file (which is what I did in
tomcat.bat with TOMCAT 3) like this:

-Djava.rmi.server.codebase="<path to my interface & stub classes>";

However, when I do this in catalina.bat, TOMCAT won't start (I'm using
startup.bat, not the "Start TOMCAT" link from the start menu...more on that
below). I've tried moving the code snip around thinking that the order might
matter, but have had no luck.

Help!

Also, I tried to add the same parameter to the link on the startmenu (which
calls bootstrap.jar) but ran into a length issue for the target as I need to
set the security policy in the same way. Can I shorten this link by using
environment variables? I tried that with no luck either!

Any help appreciated.

James Milks
Noncubicle Corporation / LostHockey.com
http://www.noncubicle.com
http://www.losthockey.com

Re: HELP! - Modifying Catalina.bat for RMI

Posted by Simon Oldeboershuis <so...@outermedia.de>.
Hi James,

I am using tomcat together with JOnAS EJB-Server, therefore
I needed RMI as well.

I changed one line to set the correct JNDI properties:

set
JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.naming.factory.initial=com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContextFactory
-Djava.naming.provider.url=rmi://localhost:1099
-Djava.naming.factory.url.pkgs=org.objectweb.jonas.naming

so long!

Simon

James Milks schrieb:

> Hi all,
> I searched the archives on this one, but couldn't find any answers, sorry if
> it is basic.
>
> I rebuilt my laptop and decided to upgrade from TOMCAT 3 to TOMCAT 4 (on
> Win2k pro with JDK 1.4). I managed to get everything working except RMI. I
> suspect that I simply need to add a configuration option to catalina.bat in
> the %_EXECJAVA% sections near the end of the file (which is what I did in
> tomcat.bat with TOMCAT 3) like this:
>
> -Djava.rmi.server.codebase="<path to my interface & stub classes>";
>
> However, when I do this in catalina.bat, TOMCAT won't start (I'm using
> startup.bat, not the "Start TOMCAT" link from the start menu...more on that
> below). I've tried moving the code snip around thinking that the order might
> matter, but have had no luck.
>
> Help!
>
> Also, I tried to add the same parameter to the link on the startmenu (which
> calls bootstrap.jar) but ran into a length issue for the target as I need to
> set the security policy in the same way. Can I shorten this link by using
> environment variables? I tried that with no luck either!
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> James Milks
> Noncubicle Corporation / LostHockey.com
> http://www.noncubicle.com