Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Todd Reed <tr...@astate.edu> on 2005/02/03 16:11:26 UTC

Preferred Platform for Tomcat5

Excluding Windows, is there a particular platform that works better with
Tomcat5?  What are members of this list using for a production
installation of Tomcat?

Re: Preferred Platform for Tomcat5

Posted by Hari Mailvaganam <ha...@gmail.com>.
 Solaris 9
JVM 1.4.2_06
Tomcat 5.0.28

Any *NIX variant should be within an expected tolerance bandwidth - as
long as a stable Tomcat and JVM version is used.

Posted by Ben Ricker <be...@gmail.com>.
I have one word of advice: DON'T USE AIX! I am in the middle of a
(forced) migration from Solaris to AIX and it sucks ball peen hammers.

The Solaris installs were running like a top for over a year. In
another incarnation, I have Tomcat running for 4 years with nary an
issue (just some issues with OOM errors when the DB started hanging on
bad SQL).

Ben Ricker

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:44:20 -0600, Paul <pa...@mnwebhost.net> wrote:
> I've usually used different distros of Linux.  Mainly Slackware (8.x,
> 9.x & 10.x) for 32bit x86 machines and Fedora Core 3 x86_64 on the
> Opteron systems.  I do stripped down installs, no X, no sound, etc..,
> basically installing only what the server needs.
>
> So far so good.  The Slackware boxes have been running flawless for a
> few years and have been updated from Tomcat 3.x up to 4.x numerous times
> without problems.  Actually for production I only have Tomcat 5 on the
> new FC3 machines, but I do have it on a Slackware development box and
> haven't had an issue.
>
> All boxes are blazingly fast, but our bottleneck is usually mysql, not
> tomcat.
>
> Slackware boxes
> P4 3.06G w/ HT & 1-2GB ram
> 2.4.2x kernels
> s/w raid 0, mysql 4.0.x, jdk1.4.2, tomcat 4.1.x
> 2-4 7.2K RPM PATA drives
>
> FC3 boxes
> Tyan S2882 boards w/ two 242 Opterons & 4-6GB RAM
> 3ware 9500S RAID controller (using raid5)
> 6+ 10K RPM SATA drives
> mysql 4.1.x & jdk1.5.x & tomcat 5.0.x
>
> Regards,
>
> -Paul
>

> Todd Reed wrote:
>
> >Excluding Windows, is there a particular platform that works better with
> >Tomcat5?  What are members of this list using for a production
> >installation of Tomcat?

Ben Ricker
He's just this guy, you know?

Re: Preferred Platform for Tomcat5

Posted by Paul <pa...@mnwebhost.net>.

Posted by Didier McGillis <co...@hotmail.com>.
Oh my wife lets me have it with all the old crusty stuff I have sitting
around.
I didnt add my three sun servers from an old job that they gave me when we
took them out of the data center.  Funny these $30k machine are just sitting
there waiting for me to have time.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Didier McGillis <co...@hotmail.com>.
The one running debain is a small box former ftp server that I took.
its a 333MHz with 384 MB Ram, and a CPU that is overheating all the time.
should just retire it, but waiting to see if it catches on fire or
something.

Posted by Didier McGillis <co...@hotmail.com>.
I have many.