Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/09 21:28:41 UTC

Establishment of MiNiFi repo and supporting tools

NiFi Community,

Originally discussed in January [1], the MiNiFi agent model was met with
positive feedback. I would like to propose a concerted effort toward the
execution on the ideas presented and establish a basis for incorporation of
the feedback received from, and collaboration with, the community to move
toward our goals of helping with dataflow from the point of its origin.

To that end, I would like to propose the creation of:

   -

   a separate repository (nifi-minifi),
   -

   establishment of a MiNiFi JIRA (MINIFI), and
   -

   production of an associated feature proposals and design documentation
   within our Confluence Wiki spaces beyond the initial points outlined by Joe
   with some additional proposals architecture and roadmap

The separate JIRA and Git repo map to the existing ASF infrastructure for
projects with similar efforts and will aid in a cleaner release and issue
management process.

Central to the aims of MiNiFi, the tenets of its operation and execution of
dataflow are the same as NiFi itself: security, provenance, and management
of dataflow; helping bring information to NiFi while maintaining the full
extent of its provenance.

Some clarifying points based on the discussion that existed previously:

   -

   While there may be reuse of NiFi components and some overlap, MiNiFi is
   a separate effort that is complementary to but not necessarily directly
   compatible with existing components and extensions.  Obviously there has
   been a lot of great effort which we can reuse, but in striving to be a
   smaller footprint, we should not find ourselves beholden to the existing,
   core, NiFi architecture.
   -

   There will exist scenarios where there is an inherent need to go smaller
   and closer to the source system. This will take the form of native code
   that builds upon the same efforts and items originally developed under the
   Java ecosystem.
   -

   Design should take consideration of disparate execution environments and
   provide ways to robustly handle varying means of communication and
   exchange.  Accordingly, communications both in management of agents and the
   transference of data should be neutral to technologies, providing the same
   flexibility and adaptation that allows NiFi to communicate with a wide
   breadth of systems, protocols, schemas, and formats.

[1]
http://apache-nifi-developer-list.39713.n7.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Proposal-for-an-Apache-NiFi-sub-project-MiNiFi-td6141.html

Re: Establishment of MiNiFi repo and supporting tools

Posted by Matt Burgess <ma...@gmail.com>.
Excellent, thanks!

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@gmail.com>.