Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by "marianne.rieckmann" <ma...@adelaide.edu.au> on 2015/05/07 02:13:16 UTC

push-style Pub/Sub with qpid::messaging API

Hi,
I would like to build a push-style publish subscribe messaging system using
the qpid::messaging API and C++ Broker. Is this possible?

I can see from previous posts, this push-style is not directly supported.
http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/Best-Practices-for-C-API-td7481171.html

It looks like there is a callback mechanism when using .NET SessionReceiver
CallbackServer
But I am looking for a more cross platform solution in C++

Is there any plans to support a Callback/MessageListener feature in future
versions of the qpid::messaging API ?

Regards,
Marianne.

Re: push-style Pub/Sub with qpid::messaging API

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 05/07/2015 01:13 AM, marianne.rieckmann wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to build a push-style publish subscribe messaging system using
> the qpid::messaging API and C++ Broker. Is this possible?
>
> I can see from previous posts, this push-style is not directly supported.
> http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/Best-Practices-for-C-API-td7481171.html
>
> It looks like there is a callback mechanism when using .NET SessionReceiver
> CallbackServer
> But I am looking for a more cross platform solution in C++
>
> Is there any plans to support a Callback/MessageListener feature in future
> versions of the qpid::messaging API ?

Not really. It is very easy to add dispatch to a callback on top of the
pull style qpid::messaging API. There is an example of this attached to
http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/Best-Practices-for-C-API-tp7481171p7481278.html.

There is also a reactive, event-driven, callback styled API being
developed on proton directly, similar to what exists in python already.
That work is still in early stages but depending on your preference and
timescales it may be worth a look:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-865