Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gerald Shifrin <ge...@wcom.com> on 2003/02/06 20:30:47 UTC

[users@httpd] HTTP Reply Code 302 Moved Temporarily - how does it know?

I'm seeing some 302 errors in the apache log:

  "GET /xxx/welcome.jsp HTTP/1.1" 302 5

The only explanation I could find for 302 said "The requested resource
resides at a different location, but will return to this location in the
future."

I'd appreciate hearing any ideas about what causes this. There a bunch of
"304 Not Modified" entries there, but that seems like a normal response.

It's a concern because I'm seeing some odd behavior -- such as the above
link failing as "welcom.jsp not found" (yes "welcom" not welcome").

Thanks!

Re: [users@httpd] HTTP Reply Code 302 Moved Temporarily - how does it know?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Gerald Shifrin wrote:

> I'm seeing some 302 errors in the apache log:
>
>   "GET /xxx/welcome.jsp HTTP/1.1" 302 5
>
> The only explanation I could find for 302 said "The requested resource
> resides at a different location, but will return to this location in the
> future."

That is not an error.  It is a redirect asking the client to re-request
the URL at a new location.  It is caused by Redirect directives, among
others.

Joshua.