Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2020/02/06 09:13:43 UTC

Re: Migration tool usage

On 06/02/2020 08:58, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question
> about https://github.com/apache/tomcat-jakartaee-migration
> <https://github.com/apache/tomcat-jakartaee-migration/blob/master/src/main/scripts/migrate.sh> tool:

I've changed to subject line to reflect this.

> How is it supposed to be used ?
> It's README does not explain this.
>
> I've
> found https://github.com/apache/tomcat-jakartaee-migration/blob/master/src/main/scripts/migrate.sh and
> from it I've figured:
>
> java -cp target/jakartaee-migration-0.0.2-SNAPSHOT-shaded.jar
> org.apache.tomcat.jakartaee.Migration
> ~/devel/apache-tomcat-10.0.0.0-M1/webapps/we.war we.war
>
> but it fails with NPE:

It is expecting a full path to the destination. And you probably want a
different file for the destination as well.

There is lots of scope to improve both the handling and documentation of
input parameters. It is a Tomcat utility rather than a personal project
now so feel free to dive and and improve things.

Mark

Re: Migration tool usage

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 11:24 AM Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 10:13 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> > but it fails with NPE:
>>
>> It is expecting a full path to the destination. And you probably want a
>> different file for the destination as well.
>>

> I assumed too much from the getParentFile API, so it's fixed now.

Thanks!
It is fixed indeed!

Wicket examples are running fine on Tomcat 10!

>> There is lots of scope to improve both the handling and documentation of
>> input parameters. It is a Tomcat utility rather than a personal project
>> now so feel free to dive and and improve things.

I will update the README with "Usage".

My destination was different than the source. I was executing the tool from
a different folder.

Re: Migration tool usage

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.