Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dan Ostberg <da...@elvberg.com> on 2006/09/23 00:05:36 UTC

[users@httpd] http://194.16.84.195 is running on my own Apache 2.2 on my own machine...

Next project is to link a .com domain to the static IP 194.16.84.195
(which is mine). Do I have to go to an ISP to get hold of a DNS or can I
set up my own DNS?

Re: [users@httpd] http://194.16.84.195 is running on my own Apache 2.2 on my own machine...

Posted by Doug McNutt <do...@macnauchtan.com>.
At 23:49 +0200 9/23/06, Dan Ostberg wrote:
>I actually got my domain from Network Solutions...it's like you write
>that I can use their DNS. For the domain.com linked to 194.16.84.§95.
>But I have also email via my present ISP...I reckon I also need to have
>a 'mail server DNS' for http://mail.domain.com with Network Solutions or
>do I have to set up an own server on my machine

This list gets a bit fussy about non-apache stuff and mail fits that description but. . .

There are such things as MX records in the DNS database. I suspect you could create such a record on Network Solutions' site that points to your "email via my present ISP".

You're using dan@elvberg.com now. That presumably points to your current web host or ISP who provides the "authority" section for the DNS servers. There be gremlins everywhere but use dig to find out what the MX records look like now. DNS entries propagate slowly and what I got may not be current.

dig mail.elvberg.com
mail.elvberg.com.       3600    IN      CNAME   s20.dknet.se.
s20.dknet.se.           3600    IN      A       195.43.38.20

qmail or sendmail on your own machine are next but spam can easily overload a user-speed connection. I'm thinking about it right after I get apache 2 working properly on the Linux box in the corner. Without this list I wouldn't even be close.
--

--> Life begins at ovulation. Ladies should endeavor to get every young life fertilized. <--

Re: [users@httpd] http://194.16.84.195 is running on my own Apache 2.2 on my own machine...

Posted by Dan Ostberg <da...@elvberg.com>.
I actually got my domain from Network Solutions...it's like you write
that I can use their DNS. For the domain.com linked to 194.16.84.§95.
But I have also email via my present ISP...I reckon I also need to have
a 'mail server DNS' for http://mail.domain.com with Network Solutions or
do I have to set up an own server on my machine (where I have the Apache
2.2)
/dan

--
Dan Ostberg
Praestgaarden

You man, be human (Tage Danielsson).

Re: [users@httpd] http://194.16.84.195 is running on my own Apache 2.2 on my own machine...

Posted by Doug McNutt <do...@macnauchtan.com>.
At 00:05 +0200 9/23/06, Dan Ostberg wrote:
>Next project is to link a .com domain to the static IP 194.16.84.195
>(which is mine). Do I have to go to an ISP to get hold of a DNS or can I
>set up my own DNS?

If you got your domain name from Network Solutions you can use their servers as the "authority". It's an option on their web-based support site.

I donno if they'll support one that came from a competitor.
--

-->  Halloween  == Oct 31 == Dec 25 == Christmas  <--

Re: [users@httpd] http://194.16.84.195 is running on my own Apache 2.2 on my own machine...

Posted by Victor Trac <vi...@gmail.com>.
Try everydns.net.. it's free and pretty good.

-Victor

http://www.victortrac.com

Re: [users@httpd] http://194.16.84.195 is running on my own Apache 2.2 on my own machine...

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 03:05 PM 9/22/2006, you wrote:
>Next project is to link a .com domain to the static IP 194.16.84.195
>(which is mine). Do I have to go to an ISP to get hold of a DNS or can I
>set up my own DNS?

You can run your own DNS server - however if you don't have any
experience in running a DNS server, it's best to let your ISP handle it.

BIND is one dns software, depending on your O/S, there's others.