Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Clint Chapman <cl...@luminosindustries.com> on 2005/06/30 13:43:57 UTC

unable to bump revision

I'm having some problems trying to rename a directory.

Initially I was having a problem with it saying access was denied to the
db/write-lock file.  I deleted the write-lock file and  renamed through
TortoiseSVN and that seemed to work fine.  I also changed some files in
the newly created directory before I committed the rename itself (not a
good idea but it should work none-the-less right?).

Then when I tried to commit the new directory, it said the commit
succeeded but it was unable to bump the revision.  Unfortunately, I
don't have the complete error message (is there a log somewhere?).  Now
when I try to commit the changes inside the newly renamed directory, I
get errors that say "'new directory/directory' does not exist in the
repository".  However, when I browse the repository with TortoiseSVN,
the directory is there - I can even check it out fine.

I tried checking out the directory and copying the changes over from my
old working copy to the new but I still get the same error when I try to
commit.

I'm using svn 1.2.0.  Any ideas?  Where do  I start?

Thanks in advance,
Clint

--
Clint Chapman

Luminos Industries Ltd.
Phone: 613-225-7661
www.luminosindustries.com

Re: unable to bump revision (error in working copy)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 30, 2005, at 3:17 PM, Clint Chapman wrote:
>   An update and clean up didn't fix anything.  I was wondering if
> there was a better way to get those files (in my semi-successfully
> renamed directory) committed.

Hm, I don't think so.

Re: unable to bump revision (error in working copy)

Posted by Clint Chapman <cl...@luminosindustries.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2005, at 2:14 PM, Clint Chapman wrote:
>

>> Is there a better way to fix the problem than (what I did) checking
>> out another working copy, copying all the changes over manually and
>> committing from the new working copy?
>

> I'm a little confused;  when you checked out a fresh working copy,
> did you not see that the changes were already present, i.e. already
> existed in the repository?

Yes, the rename was committed ok (when I checked it out the renamed
directory change was there).  The problem was that I had also made
changes to some files in the renamed directory and when I went to commit
those changes it complained that certain directories inside the renamed
directory's working copy didn't exist in the repository (apparently the
working copy still looked as if the rename hadn't happened while it had
happened in the repository).  The only way I could figure out to fix it
was checking  out another working copy, copying all the changes over
manually and  committing from the new working copy.  An update and clean

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Clint Chapman <cl...@luminosindustries.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Clint Chapman <cl...@luminosindustries.com>.
David Weintraub wrote:

>Are you using bdb or fsfs as your repository database format? Sounds
>like you're using bdb (it's what is used by default).

fsfs actually - it's the new default (since 1.2?)

>It also sounds
>like you manually removed a file that the bdb was using to track who
>has access to the database. Only a single user at a time should be
>committing changes into Subversion, and the lock file ensures that.

I certainly didn't change any files on purpose (i.e. I wasn't mucking
about in the repository file system)

>Also try the "svnadmin recover" command to see if you can recover from
>your database errors.

However, it appears it was a problem with my working copy after all.  I
checked out another working copy and copied only the changed files (I
copied the everything including the .svn folders last time) and
everything checked in fine.  I'm still not sure what caused the
problem.  I hope things go more smoothly in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Clint

Re: unable to bump revision

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Not that I am against Tortoise, but I wonder if you could use the svn
command line client to see what information you're getting? Do a "svn
checkout", see what version is checked out, do a comparison against
the files you have under Tortoise, make a minor in a file change in
the working copy you checked out using the Subversion command line
client, and commit.

Are you still getting an error?

Are you using bdb or fsfs as your repository database format? Sounds
like you're using bdb (it's what is used by default). It also sounds
like you manually removed a file that the bdb was using to track who
has access to the database. Only a single user at a time should be
committing changes into Subversion, and the lock file ensures that.

Fortunately, bdb logs its transactions. Try the "svnadmin list-dblogs"
command to see what the current bdb logfiles are and take a look at
them. Are there any error messages?

On 6/30/05, Clint Chapman <cl...@luminosindustries.com> wrote:
> I'm having some problems trying to rename a directory.
>
> Initially I was having a problem with it saying access was denied to the
> db/write-lock file.  I deleted the write-lock file and  renamed through
> TortoiseSVN and that seemed to work fine.  I also changed some files in
> the newly created directory before I committed the rename itself (not a
> good idea but it should work none-the-less right?).
>
> Then when I tried to commit the new directory, it said the commit
> succeeded but it was unable to bump the revision.  Unfortunately, I
> don't have the complete error message (is there a log somewhere?).  Now
> when I try to commit the changes inside the newly renamed directory, I
> get errors that say "'new directory/directory' does not exist in the
> repository".  However, when I browse the repository with TortoiseSVN,
> the directory is there - I can even check it out fine.
>
> I tried checking out the directory and copying the changes over from my
> old working copy to the new but I still get the same error when I try to
> commit.
>
> I'm using svn 1.2.0.  Any ideas?  Where do  I start?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Clint
>
> --
> Clint Chapman