Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Taylor <sc...@4i-dotcom.com> on 2003/02/19 17:12:24 UTC

Starting

I have played around with some code examples and am interested in creating
my own web sites using JSP, Servlets and JDBC from scratch.

I don't wish to be a guru, just someone that could knock together a
reasonably simple web app in a day or so. (like an online client database,
or online consultant timesheet system which you use forms to enter and
search.)

Could I learn just tags, struts or Maverick without getting too much into
Java code?

Regards

Scott

Re: Starting

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Scott Taylor wrote:

> Do you have "useful" working examples in the book?
>
> Because I have found with other things like PHP/MySQL examples that it
> is easier to play around with a complete example than read several
> chapters of theory?

Yeah, the major examples focus on your situation.  I don't describe how to
set up the database or its drivers, but there are a couple chapters with
nothing but complete-application examples that use JSTL alone (not Java)
to produce moderately complex web applications, like a message board, a
survey application, and a "web portal."  They stretch JSTL as far as it
can go in this respect; any larger applications would probably require
Java.

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSTL in Action"   http://www.manning.com/bayern