Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by ROSSEL Olivier <ol...@airbus.com> on 2002/06/12 11:07:48 UTC

Cocoon dictionnary.

I would like to deploy wikiLand on a public server, in order to launch
a 'Cocoon dictionnary', managed as a wiki.

Does anyone know where such a project can be hosted for free?

Re: Cocoon dictionnary.

Posted by Tom Klaasen <to...@pandora.be>.

If it is a java servlet, and not too big: www.mycgiserver.com

--
tomK

This is a test of the emergency signature system.  Were this an actual
signature, you would see amusing mottos, disclaimers, a zillion net
addresses, or edifying philisophical statements.  This is only a test.

Re: Cocoon dictionnary (XML wiki)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Thursday 13 June 2002 15:53, Diana Shannon wrote:
>. . .
> 3. That we implement, when possible, an XML-based
> approach/implementation of wiki, to facilitate integration with Forrest
> documentation architecture.
>. . .

I think that's what Oliver Rossel's wikiland project is about: a Cocoon-based
wiki that provides XHTML content.

Another option is MoinMoinWiki (http://moin.sourceforge.net/) which allows
content to be edited in the regular Wiki way but provides an alternative XML
view of this content. It's written in Python, so I don't know if it's easier
to host than Cocoon.

MoinMoinWiki seems fairly mature though, with good diffs display (invaluable
to know what's going on when everyone is allowed to write ;-), subscriptions
to pages etc.

-Bertrand

Re: Cocoon dictionnary.

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 08:06  AM, Steven Noels wrote:

> we would be able to host this.

Great news, Steven.

> this seems however like a core documentation effort. Could you please
> synchronize your efforts with Diana's and Forrest's? The last thing we
> want to happen is the documentation effort being fragmented.

If we work separately: fragmentation and diminished overall value to
users.
If we work together: the sum is greater than the parts, i.e. value-added
for users.

My hopes:

1. That wiki results (from any wiki effort, not just a dictionary one)
can be harvested, edited, and incorporated into core Cocoon docs on a
periodic basis. This helps the user experience by saving time (when they
lack time to navigate though wiki-like stream-of-consciousness posts,
just to find a definition.) It also facilitates i18n efforts. In other
words, I want the effort to be owned by the community, in the fullest
sense, so it can be used for other documentation/learning tool needs,
without restriction.

2. That developers provide some feedback. I too am seeing a lot of
confusing issues over descriptions of components behavior within
existing docs. I think this is due, in part, to the Java object model
not always having direct analogies to the user experience (which may not
include examining the code for answers).

One example (there are many others like this):
1. Quote:
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/generators/extractor-generator.html
FragmentExtractor is a transformer-generator pair which is designed to
allow sitemap managers to extract certain nodes from a SAX stream and
move them into a separate pipeline. The main use for  this is to extract
inline SVG images and serve them up through a separate pipeline, usually
serializing them to PNG or JPEG format first.

Questions a new user may ask:
Sitemap manager: Is this a person or a Cocoon component?
Separate pipeline: Where/what is this "separate" pipeline? But what if I
have only one pipeline declared in my sitemap?

3. That we implement, when possible, an XML-based
approach/implementation of wiki, to facilitate integration with Forrest
documentation architecture.

-- Diana

Re: Cocoon dictionnary.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
ROSSEL Olivier wrote:

> I would like to deploy wikiLand on a public server, in order to launch
> a 'Cocoon dictionnary', managed as a wiki.
>
> Does anyone know where such a project can be hosted for free?

we would be able to host this.

this seems however like a core documentation effort. Could you please
synchronize your efforts with Diana's and Forrest's? The last thing we
want to happen is the documentation effort being fragmented.

Regards,

</Steven>