Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "FLYNN, Peter -Syntegra UK" <Pe...@syntegra.com> on 2002/10/23 15:32:50 UTC

?'s returned from call

We've recently ran some tests with Log4J and are experiencing some strange
behaviour from some of the calls.

When I run it on my computer it is fine, but when my colleague runs the same
test, we get ? for line number
and method name from locationInformation.

Would it do this if the symbol table in the class being logged was missing?
Or could it be something else?

Regards,
Peter

This email may contain information which is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please notify the sender immediately and delete it without reading, copying, storing, forwarding or disclosing its contents to any other person
Thank you

Check us out at http://www.syntegra.com

Re: ?'s returned from call

Posted by donald larmee <dl...@utopiansoft.com>.
Try compiling your code w/ the -g switch to include debugging
information.  Many JustInTime compilers lose locality information during
runtime optimizations.  However, if you are using a 3rd party jar, you may
be out of luck.  The ''?' results because the StackTrace being parsed to
get the locality information is encountering a 'compiled code' instead of a
valid line number.

Hope it helps.

-don

At 02:32 PM 10/23/2002 +0100, FLYNN, Peter -Syntegra UK wrote:
>We've recently ran some tests with Log4J and are experiencing some strange
>behaviour from some of the calls.
>
>When I run it on my computer it is fine, but when my colleague runs the same
>test, we get ? for line number
>and method name from locationInformation.
>
>Would it do this if the symbol table in the class being logged was missing?
>Or could it be something else?
>
>Regards,
>Peter

>This email may contain information which is privileged or confidential. If
>you are not the intended recipient of this email, please notify the sender
>immediately and delete it without reading, copying, storing, forwarding or
>disclosing its contents to any other person
>Thank you
>
>Check us out at http://www.syntegra.com

   donald h. larmee                               dlarmee@utopiansoft.com
                                                                          804.301.UTOP