Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by no...@videotron.ca on 2001/06/11 18:25:31 UTC

Sticky Session Bug

I'm having problems with Tomcat's sticky session implementation while in a
cluster of Tomcat 3.2.2 worker instances running Ajp13.

>From what I understand from the documentation, when a session exists, mod_jk is
suppose to forward all requests for that session to the original Tomcat instance
that created the session.  It's not working!!!!  It seems like after a few
reloads, the request will switch to another Tomcat instance (in a roud-robin
fashion as if I didn't have a session).  I'm using Mozilla for my test and
Mozilla is telling me that it received the JSESSIONID cookie and Tomcat is
telling me that it received the JSESSIONID cookie back.  Looks like Tomcat is
ignoring the cookie.

Here is my configuration:

I have three instances of Tomcat 3.2.2 running on the same machine (each is
running Ajp13 on a different port).
I have a loadbalancer configured to include those three Tomcat instances.
I have one instance of Apache 1.3.19 running in front of my loadbalancer (using
mod_jk).

When I make a request, I get a JSESSIONID back.  If I make the same request 10
times, the first 5 are made on the same server that created the session however,
the other requests after the 5th go to my next tomcat instance.

Is there something I forgot to configure for the sessions to be sticky within a
group of Tomcat workers?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc