Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by we...@tigris.org on 2009/04/20 05:34:24 UTC

Moving .svn directories out

1. svn checkout <url> (into dir Test1)
2. svn export <url> (into dir Test2)

Test1 is 24341 files, 9873 folders, occupying 435MB disk space.
Test2 is  9652 files, 1097 folders, occupying 216MB disk space.

Is the SVN overhead really 201% disk space, 252% # of files, and 900% # of directories ?

Since the .svn directories reside within the same tree structure as the source files, this slows down recursive operations (e.g. string
searches across files), and increases the amount of space needed to backup the source tree.
Is there a way to move the .svn directories (and related sub-contents) to another parallel root tree structure, keeping my source files in a separate tree structure?

Re: Moving .svn directories out

Posted by "Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mi...@lab.vectoris.fr>.
webpost@tigris.org wrote:
> this slows down recursive operations (e.g. string
> searches across files),

That is the ONLY one drawback I would find to the overhead.
The others arguments are, according to me, not really a problem.

Anyway, as well are there is a "svn rm|del", "svn copy",... my suggestion
would be oriented to a "svn rgrep" that would be a recursive grep on the
files. It would exclude all the stuff under the .svn directory...

--
                              Chef de projet chez Vectoris
                                  Phone: +261 33 11 207 36

RE: Moving .svn directories out

Posted by Jason Malinowski <ja...@jason-m.com>.
> Most tools allow you to exclude certain directories using some type of
> pattern matching. You should look into doing that with your search tool.

I run around with this in my .bashrc:

alias grep='grep --exclude-dir=.svn'

so 'grep -R keyword *' never hits any .svn directories at all.

Jason Malinowski

RE: Moving .svn directories out

Posted by Mike Meyer <mm...@lexmark.com>.
Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com> wrote on 04/20/2009 09:32:51 AM:

> > Since the .svn directories reside within the same tree structure as
> the
> > source files, this slows down recursive operations (e.g. string
> > searches across files), and increases the amount of space needed to
> backup
> > the source tree.
>
> Most tools allow you to exclude certain directories using some type of
> pattern matching. You should look into doing that with your search tool.

grep -R/-r - nope. the exclude works on files, but doesn't stop searching
into the directories.

find - -prune works, sorta kinda. It's quietly ignored for depth-first
searches,          and finds the .svn directories.

du - yes. However, you can't both include them in the output sizes and
exclude them from the output listing.

tar - nope, can only exclude files by name, from a file prepared in
advance.

cpio - nope.

The real problem is that the stock commands for dealing with trees simply
don't work right. I almost never think "Cr*p, this is an svn working copy,
tweak the command" before issuing it, it's always "What's this cr*p in my
- oh, right, this is an svn working copy" - by which time the fastest way
to get the answer is rerun the command and grep out the .svn cruft.

        <mike

RE: Moving .svn directories out

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> Since the .svn directories reside within the same tree structure as
the
> source files, this slows down recursive operations (e.g. string
> searches across files), and increases the amount of space needed to
backup
> the source tree.

Most tools allow you to exclude certain directories using some type of
pattern matching. You should look into doing that with your search tool.

> Is there a way to move the .svn directories (and related sub-contents)
> another parallel root tree structure, keeping my source files in a
> separate tree structure?

Not that I know of. Although there is talk of this happening in 1.7
since the .svn info is being moved into a SQLite database.

BOb