Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Joel Nylund <jn...@yahoo.com> on 2009/10/28 23:17:01 UTC

weird problem with letters S and T

(I am super new to solr, sorry if this is an easy one)

Hi, I want to support an A-Z type view of my data.

I have a DataImportHandler that uses sql (my query is complex, but the
part that matters is:

SELECT f.id, f.title, LEFT(f.title,1) as firstLetterTitle FROM Foo f

I can create this index with no issues.

I can query the title with no problem:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=title:super

I can query the first letters mostly with no problem:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=firstLetterTitle:a

Returns all the foo's with the first letter a.

This actually works with every letter except S and T

If I query those, I get no results. The weird thing if I do the title
query above with "Super" I get lots of results, and the xml shoes the
firstLetterTitles for those to be "S"

<doc>
<str name="firstLetterTitle">S</str>
<str name="id">84861348</str>
<str name="title">Super Cool</str>
</doc>
−
<doc>
<str name="firstLetterTitle">S</str>
<str name="id">108692</str>
<str name="title">Super 45</str>
</doc>
−
<doc>

etc.

Any ideas, are S and T special chars in query for solr?

here is the response from the s query with debug = true

<response>
−
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">0</int>
<int name="QTime">24</int>
−
<lst name="params">
<str name="q">firstLetterTitle:s</str>
<str name="debugQuery">true</str>
</lst>
</lst>
<result name="response" numFound="0" start="0"/>
−
<lst name="debug">
<str name="rawquerystring">firstLetterTitle:s</str>
<str name="querystring">firstLetterTitle:s</str>
<str name="parsedquery"/>
<str name="parsedquery_toString"/>
<lst name="explain"/>
<str name="QParser">OldLuceneQParser</str>
−
<lst name="timing">
<double name="time">2.0</double>
−
<lst name="prepare">
<double name="time">1.0</double>
−
<lst name="org.apache.solr.handler.component.QueryComponent">
<double name="time">1.0</double>
</lst>
−
<lst name="org.apache.solr.handler.component.FacetComponent">
<double name="time">0.0</double>
</lst>
−
<lst name="org.apache.solr.handler.component.MoreLikeThisComponent">
<double name="time">0.0</double>
</lst>
−
<lst name="org.apache.solr.handler.component.HighlightComponent">
<double name="time">0.0</double>
</lst>
−
<lst name="org.apache.solr.handler.component.DebugComponent">
<double name="time">0.0</double>
</lst>
</lst>
−
<lst name="process">
<double name="time">0.0</double>
−
[...]
</response>

thanks
Joel

RE: weird problem with letters S and T

Posted by Bernadette Houghton <be...@deakin.edu.au>.
Hi Joel, I'm a relative beginner to solr myself. I think the "s" and "t" are probably in the stopwords list because there will be a lot of them resulting from analysing of words such as "don't" and "person's". Whether that's (hey, another example!) an issue for you will probably depend on what analysers you're using.

If you want that query to ignore stopwords, you might have to set up another index for that field, once with stopwords and once without.
bern

Posted by Joel Nylund <jn...@yahoo.com>.
Hey everyone thanks for the help, it seems to be working this am after
a restart & reindex (maybe I was just too sleepy last night), and
using field type of text_ws.

Im curios about the pro's and cons of Michel's approach below, this
seems like another good way to do it, is there any difference in terms
of performance and/or index size or anything else I  need to worry
about. My index will have about 3million records in prod, im testing
with 300k (1/10 scale) now and it seems fine.

thanks
Joel

Posted by Michel Bottan <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joel,

Posted by Norberto Meijome <nu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Searle <da...@magicalia.com>.
Or just reload the app pool. No need to restart the whole server

On 28 Oct 2009, at 23:23, "Bernadette Houghton" <bernadette.houghton@deakin.edu.au

Posted by Bernadette Houghton <be...@deakin.edu.au>.

Posted by Joel Nylund <jn...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Martijn v Groningen <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joel Nylund <jn...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Bernadette Houghton <be...@deakin.edu.au>.

Posted by Avlesh Singh <av...@gmail.com>.

> Any ideas, are S and T special chars in query for solr?

Nope, they are NOT. My guess is that

   - You are using a "text" type field for firstLetterTitle which has the
   stopword filter applied to it.
   - Your "stopwords.txt" file contains the characters "s" and "t" because
   of which the above mentioned filter "eats" them up while indexing and
   searching.

If the above assumptions are correct, then there are two ways to fix it -

   - Remove the characters "s" and "t" from your stopwords.txt file and do a
   re-index. Searches should work fine after that.
   - For this particular use-case, you can keep your firstLetterTitle field
   as a "string" type untokenized field. You will not have to worry about
   stopwords in that case.

Cheers
Avlesh