Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ali Akhtar <al...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/01 12:59:59 UTC

Cannot mix counter and non counter columns in the same table

In the documentation for counters:

https://docs.datastax.com/en/cql/3.1/cql/cql_using/use_counter_t.html

The example table is created via:

CREATE TABLE counterks.page_view_counts
  (counter_value counter,
  url_name varchar,
  page_name varchar,
  PRIMARY KEY (url_name, page_name)
);

Yet if I try to create a table with a mixture of texts, ints, timestamps,
and counters, i get the error ' Cannot mix counter and non counter columns
in the same table'

Is that supposed to be allowed or not allowed, given that the official
example contains a mix of counters and non-counters?

Re: Cannot mix counter and non counter columns in the same table

Posted by Ali Akhtar <al...@gmail.com>.
> I agree it makes code messier

That's not a trivial point.

It isn't just about doing two queries to read. Its also having to do two
queries to write and remembering to do that in all the places.

Posted by Cody Yancey <ya...@uber.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Roth <be...@jaumo.com>.
Big Fat lol!!!