Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Innerlab <in...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/16 16:30:51 UTC

istallation problem.

Hello:

I am not an expert either with Apache or Perl, so I am probably
having some basic problem here.
I was forced to intall mod_perl just because of one script that I use
for querying Amazon.com and parsing the XML they return.
My site was until yesterday hosted by some company, but now I have to
use my own web server and trying to make perl work.

I had apache installed on w2000, and replaced that instalation with
the one provided in the file "perl-win32-bin-0.9.exe". I copied
everything on top of the other one, including the configuration.

Browsing of "localhost" is fine, and simple Perl tests like
"hello.pl" work,  but I have problems with that script.

I don't really know what the following means, but it seems the script
uses Perl module LWP. The author of the script recommended installing
this module like this: perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::LWP'

I issued the command with a "*.bat" file and the command kept looping
forever, and had to stop it manually (CTRL+C).

Also, the script uses a package called "WSParser.pm", which I have in
my cgi-bin folder. Maybe someone in this list is an Amazon.com
associate and has dealt with these scripts.

Anyway, I don't even know how to chmod a file, so maybe this is the
first thing I should do. How do I do that?

Thanks in advance, and sorry that I am such a newbie here.

Ed.

http://faith.yahoo.com

Re: istallation problem.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Innerlab wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am not an expert either with Apache or Perl, so I am probably
> having some basic problem here.
> I was forced to intall mod_perl just because of one script that I use
> for querying Amazon.com and parsing the XML they return.
> My site was until yesterday hosted by some company, but now I have to
> use my own web server and trying to make perl work.
>
> I had apache installed on w2000, and replaced that instalation with
> the one provided in the file "perl-win32-bin-0.9.exe". I copied
> everything on top of the other one, including the configuration.
>
> Browsing of "localhost" is fine, and simple Perl tests like
> "hello.pl" work,  but I have problems with that script.
>
> I don't really know what the following means, but it seems the script
> uses Perl module LWP. The author of the script recommended installing
> this module like this: perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::LWP'

The Perl/Apache distribution of perl-win32-bin.exe comes
with the LWP suite of modules, so you shouldn't have to
install this.

> Also, the script uses a package called "WSParser.pm", which I have in
> my cgi-bin folder. Maybe someone in this list is an Amazon.com
> associate and has dealt with these scripts.

I'm not familiar with this module, but if it's a problem with
finding it, take a look at the entry on keeping and using your
own module library under
   C:\> perldoc perlfaq8

> Anyway, I don't even know how to chmod a file, so maybe this is the
> first thing I should do. How do I do that?

This is probably a Unix-specific thing in setting the permissions
properly; you most likely don't need this on Win32.

--
best regards,
randy kobes