Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Andy <an...@yahoo.com> on 2010/01/24 08:54:27 UTC

wildcard search and hierarchical faceting

I'd like to provide a hierarchical faceting functionality.

An example would be location drill down such as USA -> New York -> New York City -> SoHo

The number of levels can be arbitrary. One way to handle this could be to use a special character as separator, store values such as "USA|New York|New York City|SoHo" and use wildcard search. So if "USA" has been selected, the fq would be USA*

I read somewhere that when using wildcard search, no stemming or tokenization will be performed. So "USA" will not match 'usa". Is there any way to work around that?

Or would you recommend a different way to handle hierarchical faceting?

Re: wildcard search and hierarchical faceting

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
There are some approaches outlined here that might be of interest:

		http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HierarchicalFaceting