Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Chris Burkey <cb...@one.net> on 2001/08/16 16:42:03 UTC

stuck emails

Noticed some stuck emails when we use POP3 with this config option:

     <inboxRepository>
        <repository destinationURL="file://var/mail/inboxes/"
                    type="MAIL">
        </repository>
      </inboxRepository>

I tracked the problem down to:

org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.blocks.masterstore.AbstractFileRepository

public void initialize()        throws Exception    {
        m_name = RepositoryManager.getName();
        m_extension = "." + m_name + getExtensionDecorator();

What this does is use a new repository extension each time the JVM is
reloaded in James. Notice the static method call to ReositoryManager. The
end result is that email will remain stuck in the /var/mail/inboxes/*.*
directory because the extension does not match the new static name.

For example:

 4D61696C3939373438373238313037372D373030.Repository25.FileObjectStore

The number 25 in Repository25.FileObjectStore will be lost once the JVM is
shut down. To find out more about the bug we should look into the static
RepositoryManager.getName(); method.

In the meantime I am going to tryout the MySQL storage of emails to see if
its more reliable.

Re: stuck emails

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
What version of James are you using?