Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Anil K. Vijendran" <ak...@eng.sun.com> on 1999/10/14 09:33:32 UTC

some cool hacking projects...

While we're all waiting for the code to go public etc, here's something
that you could take on and do if you have time and are interested. It
would be awesome to:

  1. Have a pretty printer for JSP files. Something that takes JSPs and
     generates legal html would be perfect. You can actually use the
     code for the JSP engine in tomcat for this too.
  2. Emacs mode for JSP. (Beer's on me, if you're interested!)
  3. If you have any interesting JSP or Servlet examples and don't mind
     sharing it (it would be part of the tomcat and Apache releases
     eventually), please send them over.

--
Peace, Anil +<:-)

PS: Reply to tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org

Re: some cool hacking projects...

Posted by Kare Nuorteva <ka...@satama.com>.

Scott Stirling wrote:

> In somewhat related matters, I am working on a jsp.vim syntax file for
> vim.  I would be interested in any input on what people think such a

Cool!

This is just what I needed!

IMHO some kind of a HTML support is needed.
If you need help (ideas/coding/testing/anything), just mail me and I'll
see what I can do...

Kare 8^)

--
Kare Nuorteva, programmer
Satama Interactive, Henry Fordin katu 6 FIN-00150 HELSINKI

Re: some cool hacking projects...

Posted by Scott Stirling <ss...@gis.net>.
"Anil K. Vijendran" wrote:

>   2. Emacs mode for JSP.

In somewhat related matters, I am working on a jsp.vim syntax file for
vim.  I would be interested in any input on what people think such a
thing should look like.  I was thinking of muting the HTML and playing
up the JSP syntax.  I tried using the HTML, JavaScript and Java syntax
files, but none of them quite cut it for JSP.
--
Scott Stirling
West Newton, MA

Re: some cool hacking projects...

Posted by Jeff Martin <je...@dial.pipex.com>.
Don't know whether you interest in this or not, but here's a little servlet
that
could be used as an example. It's not big and it's not cleaver but it is a
little bit of fun. It allows you to mutate the colours used in the web page
so
you can have your own custom colour scheme.

It's a bit of a hack at the moment so if people think it's what there
looking
for I can tidy it up and comment it. I might also do a JSP version as well.

Posted by James Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
> But do you want things like this? I am sure there are millions of these
> around anyway and does it really belog in Jakarta?

I think it depends. If the servlet and its supporting classes are pretty
big, take a lot of config -- then they probably shouldn't be part of the
Tomcat download, but should be made available elsewhere. If they are small
and easy to use, then they probably can serve as good example / library code
for others.

Re: some cool hacking projects...

Posted by Kuldip Pathak <ku...@informix.com>.
JDBC 2.0 standard extensions spec lays down a standard interface to
connection pooling facilities. The idea is similar to what James has done,
but DataSource class is used to dish out a pooled (or non-pooled)
connections. So, if folks are using JDBC 2.0, they have a standard interface
to connection pooling. For the sake of common API, same interfaces can be
implemented in pre-2.0 JDBC drivers also.

Kuldip

Posted by James House <ho...@spectre.com>.

Posted by David Warnock <da...@sundayta.co.uk>.
"Anil K. Vijendran" wrote:
<snip>
>   3. If you have any interesting JSP or Servlet examples and don't mind
>      sharing it (it would be part of the tomcat and Apache releases
>      eventually), please send them over.

I don't subscribe to tomcat dev so am replying here so I can see the
discussion.

We are building some standard servlets for our own use that I would be
very happy to release into the jakarta project if they would be useful.

The one I would start with is a way of producing html tables from sql
statements for inclusion in jsp pages.

But do you want things like this? I am sure there are millions of these
around anyway and does it really belog in Jakarta?

Basically ours fires the query off in a separate thread. This thread
returns the data a "page" at a time (you define how many rows per page).
The first page can be returned to the user whilst the query continues.
The pages include links like altavista etc to other pages. Wait pages
are produced when you ask for a page that has not yet been produced.

Currently all pages are held in memory until the session expires.

Is this the kind of thing that is wanted? There should be nothing in
such a servlet that ties it into jakarta specifically which is one
reason why I wonder.

An area of concern with servlets like this is the number of supporting
classes that make them harder to reuse elsewhere. For example we use a
ConnectionPool, but there are many around and really we want to make
these pluggable (so we use a ConnectionPool interface, but no doubt
other connection pools currently have different interfaces).

Other problems are that there is not a starndard way of knowing who is
logged in (unless a newer spec has added that), we use a session value
but again probably a different naming standard for it etc.

Regards

Dave

--
David Warnock
Sundayta Ltd

Re: some cool hacking projects...

Posted by Ari Halberstadt <ar...@shore.net>.
"Anil K. Vijendran" <ak...@eng.sun.com> wrote:
>  2. Emacs mode for JSP. (Beer's on me, if you're interested!)

I got the following pointer via another board I subscribe to. Maybe a
starting point or even a working solution (I haven't tried it out yet).

-- Via <http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a.tcl?topic=web%2fdb>

-- Ari Halberstadt mailto:ari@shore.net <http://www.magiccookie.com/>