Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/17 17:14:10 UTC

Any thoughts on Tutor.com's policy of "MS Word only"?

Hello,

I'm thinking of applying for an online tutoring position at Tutor.com.
However, they require that tutors (and applicants, for the mock tutoring
session) have Microsoft Word (2007 or later) itself -- they specifically
say that OpenOffice is not acceptable. I'd rather not spend $110 just to
get MS Word (or $140 for MS Office, or $10/month or $100/year to rent MS
Office) for this specific job, when OpenOffice/LibreOffice has worked just
fine for me for the past decade.

Does anyone here have any relevant experience (eg, does Tutor.com in
practice allow OpenOffice/LibreOffice, is it absolutely necessary to get MS
Word, do you know of similar online tutoring services that allow
OpenOffice/LibreOffice, etc)?

Thank you in advance!

Jeff Deutsch
Speaker & Life Coach
A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
http://www.asplint.com

"Listen to the universe while it whispers before it has to shout."
Marion Grobb Finkelstein, Communication Catalyst --
http://www.MarionSpeaks.com

Re: Any thoughts on Tutor.com's policy of "MS Word only"?

Posted by Bruce Pierson <bp...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 17, 2014, at 11:14, Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> -- they specifically
> say that OpenOffice is not acceptable.

Tutor.com is a "Microsoft Gold Certified Partner”, the likelihood that they would even admit that an open source suite such as Open Office can do everything that Microsoft Office can do would be slim to none.

- Bruce

Re: Any thoughts on Tutor.com's policy of "MS Word only"?

Posted by M Henri Day <mh...@gmail.com>.

> Another thought, it was clearly stated MS products were required.
>  Applying without the required products demonstrates the inability to
> follow direction.
>
> Jack

​Well, Jack, implying that the OP «appli[ed] without the required
products», instead of, as he did, posting his query to this forum
*before*deciding whether or not to apply, demonstrates an inability to
read....

Henri

​ ​

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hello Marco,

Thank you very much for your insight, especially as I had not seen the
connection with requiring Internet Explorer 8+.

As for OpenOffice, when I began the online application process and the got
the initial list of questions, the one that dealt with MS Word specified
that alternative software -- specifically including OpenOffice -- is not
acceptable.

Cheers,

Posted by "M. Fioretti" <mf...@nexaima.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Jeffrey Deutsch
<jd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> Excellent point about following directions in general -- that deserves its
> own discussion, probably on a career forum.
>
> My question is: What are your (collective) thoughts on this specific
> direction? For example, is it technically necessary, or not? Does Tutor.com
> strictly enforce it? Do you know of similar sites which don't insist on it?
> Etc.

I have no knowledge about Tutor.com specifically, but it would be
interesting to find out the nature of their dependency on MS Office.

1) Is it merely a matter of comfort and familiarity?

2)  Do they have a technical dependency on the Microsoft file formats?
 (In that case you could remind them that OpenOffice can read and
write the MS binary formats: doc, xls and ppt)

3) Do they have a technical dependency on the Microsoft Office
application itself, say via macros or extensions?

Regards,

-Rob

> Cheers,
>
> Jeff Deutsch
> Speaker & Life Coach
> A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
> http://www.asplint.com
>
> "Listen to the universe while it whispers before it has to shout."
> Marion Grobb Finkelstein, Communication Catalyst --
> http://www.MarionSpeaks.com
>

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM, japples <ja...@europa.com> wrote:
>
>> Another thought, it was clearly stated MS products were required.
>>  Applying without the required products demonstrates the inability to
>> follow direction.
>>
>> Jack
>>

>> Jeffrey Deutsch wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of applying for an online tutoring position at Tutor.com.
>>> However, they require that tutors (and applicants, for the mock tutoring
>>> session) have Microsoft Word (2007 or later) itself -- they specifically
>>> say that OpenOffice is not acceptable. I'd rather not spend $110 just to
>>> get MS Word (or $140 for MS Office, or $10/month or $100/year to rent MS
>>> Office) for this specific job, when OpenOffice/LibreOffice has worked just
>>> fine for me for the past decade.
>>>
>>> Does anyone here have any relevant experience (eg, does Tutor.com in
>>> practice allow OpenOffice/LibreOffice, is it absolutely necessary to get
>>> MS
>>> Word, do you know of similar online tutoring services that allow
>>> OpenOffice/LibreOffice, etc)?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance!
>>>
>>> Jeff Deutsch
>>> Speaker & Life Coach
>>> A SPLINT - ASPies LInking with NTs
>>> http://www.asplint.com
>>>
>>> "Listen to the universe while it whispers before it has to shout."
>>> Marion Grobb Finkelstein, Communication Catalyst --
>>> http://www.MarionSpeaks.com

Re: Any thoughts on Tutor.com's policy of "MS Word only"?

Posted by do...@msn.com.
Seems counter-productive to argue with prospective employer over a point like this. To use a sports world cliche "It is what it is." Just like this damned snow on the ground on April 17 in Minneapolis is what it is.

> My question is: What are your (collective) thoughts on this specific
> direction? For example, is it technically necessary, or not? Does Tutor.com
> strictly enforce it? Do you know of similar sites which don't insist on it?

it depends on what for they want you to have ms office.

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.

Posted by Jeffrey Deutsch <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jack,

Posted by japples <ja...@europa.com>.