Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by "Lapinski, Michael (Research)" <la...@crd.ge.com> on 2003/05/15 21:27:33 UTC

javax.xml.rpc versus org.apache.soap.rpc

Hi,
  I have been looking at a few bits of
code that invoke web services. I noticed
that some of the code used the classes in
javax.xml.rpc and some used
org.apache.soap.rpc classes (ie Call).

What is the difference between the two
Implementations ? Why do these 2 different
implementations exist ?

-thank you
-mtl

Michael Lapinski
Computer Scientist
GE Research

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
            - IBM Chairman Thomas Watson, 1943

Re: javax.xml.rpc versus org.apache.soap.rpc

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
The Apache SOAP API existed before JAX-RPC.  The JSR that worked on
JAX-RPC used the SOAP API as one possible model.  The resulting JAX-
RPC standard represents what the committee considered an improvement
on Apache SOAP.

People who had code written with Apache SOAP continued to use it and
sometimes continued to write new code using it.  Some newcomers use
Apache SOAP, but most people are using newer implementations that
support JAX-RPC (possibly in addition to some proprietary API that
pre-dates JAX-RPC).  Apache Axis supports JAX-RPC.

On 15 May 2003 at 15:27, Lapinski, Michael (Research) wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have been looking at a few bits of
> code that invoke web services. I noticed
> that some of the code used the classes in
> javax.xml.rpc and some used
> org.apache.soap.rpc classes (ie Call).
>
> What is the difference between the two
> Implementations ? Why do these 2 different
> implementations exist ?
>
> -thank you
> -mtl

> Michael Lapinski
> Computer Scientist
> GE Research
>

> "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
>             - IBM Chairman Thomas Watson, 1943

Scott Nichol

Do not reply directly to this e-mail address,
as it is filtered to only receive e-mail from
specific mailing lists.