Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2002/08/03 23:35:14 UTC

[Stas Bekman ] Re: include one CVS module sub-branch in another?

David N. Welton wrote:
> Any ideas about the best way to handle this?
>

>         The problem with this is purely one of infrastructure... how
>         to make CVS keep a checked out version of the latest docs,
>         from the tcl-websh module, within the tcl-site module checked
>         out on www.apache.org.
>
>         I currently do exactly that with the mod_dtcl docs, but I'm
>         not entirely satisfied with the results...  it works fine on
>         the live box, but not on my local box, because the local
>         checked out copy is from anonymous CVS and thus, checkins of
>         the whole doc/ tree don't work, because anonymous CVS has no
>         access...  I could use a 'real' checked out version, but that
>         makes me nervous, as I don't want to change the docs from
>         there.  I will ask the Apache folks if they have any ideas.
>
> Basically, how to keep a copy of the docs, from whatever project,
> checked out in the tcl-site module... Any ideas about the best way to
> do this?  Maybe there is another approach that works better?

mod_perl 2.0 checks out these two subtrees from different cvs reps:
httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test
modperl-docs/src/docs/2.0/

by simply using aliases in CVSROOT/modules:

apachetest-alias    -d Apache-Test httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test
modperl-docs-alias  -d docs modperl-docs/src/docs/2.0/
modperl-2.0         modperl-2.0 &apachetest-alias &modperl-docs-alias

so when you check out modperl-2.0 you get the other two aliases checked out.

but notice that this checkout doesn't prevent you from changing files in
it, as it's not really a copy, but a real checked out version.

David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
   Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/