Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2015/10/08 04:59:26 UTC

Why can't nodetool status include a hostname?

I find it really frustrating that nodetool status doesn't include a hostname

Makes it harder to track down problems.

I realize it PRIMARILY uses the IP but perhaps cassandra.yml can include an
optional 'hostname' parameter that can be set by the user.  OR have the box
itself include the hostname in gossip when it starts up.

I realize that hostname wouldn't be authoritative and that the IP must
still be shown but we could add another column for the hostname.

--

We’re hiring if you know of any awesome Java Devops or Linux Operations
Engineers!

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*
blog: http://burtonator.wordpress.com
… or check out my Google+ profile
<https://plus.google.com/102718274791889610666/posts>

RE: Why can't nodetool status include a hostname?

Posted by SE...@homedepot.com.
I ended up writing some of my own utilities and aliases to make output more useful for me (and reduce some typing, too). Resolving host names was a big one for me, too. Ip addresses are almost useless. Up time in seconds is useless.

The –r in nodetool is a nice addition, but I like the short host name instead.

hostname:/home/cassuser> cinfo
DSE Version            : 4.7.0
Cassandra Ver          : 2.1.5.469
Gossip active          : true
Thrift active          : true
Native Transport active: true
Load                   : 2.67 GB
Up since               : Sun Sep 13 00:36:50 EDT 2015
Heap Memory (MB)       : 3645.74 / 7987.25
Off Heap Memory (MB)   : 203.93
Heap Used %            : 45.64
Thrift Conns           : 0
CQL Conns              : 12
Topology               : DC1 : RAC1

hostname:/home/cassuser> cstatus
Datacenter: DC1
===============
Status=Up/Down
/ State=Normal/Leaving/Joining/Moving
--  Address         Load       Tokens  Owns    Host ID                               Rack
UN  cplinpys       8.47 GB    256     ?       f498c0f9-0041-404c-979d-d1269c6a2287  RAC1
UN  cplinpyr       2.67 GB    256     ?       397546c2-e229-482e-aa50-de367ab6add8  RAC1
UN  cplinpyt       2.17 GB    256     ?       f61da10c-c2c6-4a5a-8fdc-d2693f2239bc  RAC1

Sean Durity – Lead Cassandra Admin

Yeah, -r or --resolve-ip is what you're looking for.

Cassandra's nodetool command is kind of wonky.  Inconsistent across functions (e.g. sometimes 'keyspace.columnfamily' other times 'keyspace columnfamily', pay attention to the character between the items), doesn't resolve IPs by default (while standard linux commands require you to pass something like -n to not resolve names), so on and so forth.

When in doubt run nodetool without specifying a command and it'll list all of the available options (another example of wonkiness, the 'help' argument is not listed in this output)

-Gene

Have you tried using the -r or --resolve-ip option?

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com<http://Spinn3r.com>
Location: San Francisco, CA
blog: http://burtonator.wordpress.com
… or check out my Google+ profile<https://plus.google.com/102718274791889610666/posts>

The information in this Internet Email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this Email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this Email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing The Home Depot terms of business or client engagement letter. The Home Depot disclaims all responsibility and liability for the accuracy and content of this attachment and for any damages or losses arising from any inaccuracies, errors, viruses, e.g., worms, trojan horses, etc., or other items of a destructive nature, which may be contained in this attachment and shall not be liable for direct, indirect, consequential or special damages in connection with this e-mail message or its attachment.

Re: Why can't nodetool status include a hostname?

Posted by Gene <gh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.