Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by TioDuke <ti...@yahoo.ca> on 2008/04/24 13:59:43 UTC

Before installation

Hi,

I am beginning to prepare for the SCBCD 5.0 exam and I was thinking about
installing Geronimo as my study/test Application Server. I have a couple of
questions:

1) Wich EJB version does Geronimo 2.1 (current) support? Accordingly to
Geronimo's website, Geronimo is JEE 5 comliant, so I imagine it supports EJB
3.0. However, accordingly to Wikipedia OpenEJB supports EJB 2.1 only.

2) I have Tomcat 6 already installed in my box. Can Geronimo be configured
to use that Tomcat installation instead of the one that comes bundled with
it? If it is possible, how complicated that is?
I am running a Linux box, so symlinking could be an option.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Re: Before installation

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 24, 2008, at 7:59 AM, TioDuke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am beginning to prepare for the SCBCD 5.0 exam and I was thinking
> about
> installing Geronimo as my study/test Application Server. I have a
> couple of
> questions:
>
> 1) Wich EJB version does Geronimo 2.1 (current) support? Accordingly
> Geronimo's website, Geronimo is JEE 5 comliant, so I imagine it
> supports EJB
> 3.0. However, accordingly to Wikipedia OpenEJB supports EJB 2.1 only.

EJB 3.0. Looks like it's time for a Wikipedia update...

> 2) I have Tomcat 6 already installed in my box. Can Geronimo be
> configured
> to use that Tomcat installation instead of the one that comes
> bundled with
> it? If it is possible, how complicated that is?
> I am running a Linux box, so symlinking could be an option.

No. You should use the embedded version of Tomcat.

--kevan

Re: Before installation

Posted by Jason Warner <ja...@apache.org>.
Hello,

I'm not sure about your second question, so I'll let someone who knows more
about that answer it but I can answer your first question.  Geronimo 2.1.0
includes openejb-3.0-beta2 and thus supports EJB 3.0.  There is currently a
vote up to release Geronimo 2.1.1 which includes the recently released
OpenEJB 3.0 as well as a number of bug fixes.

Hope this helps!

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:59 AM, TioDuke <ti...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am beginning to prepare for the SCBCD 5.0 exam and I was thinking about
> installing Geronimo as my study/test Application Server. I have a couple of
> questions:
>
> 1) Wich EJB version does Geronimo 2.1 (current) support? Accordingly to
> Geronimo's website, Geronimo is JEE 5 comliant, so I imagine it supports
> EJB
> 3.0. However, accordingly to Wikipedia OpenEJB supports EJB 2.1 only.
>
> 2) I have Tomcat 6 already installed in my box. Can Geronimo be configured
> to use that Tomcat installation instead of the one that comes bundled with
> it? If it is possible, how complicated that is?
> I am running a Linux box, so symlinking could be an option.
>
> Thank you very much for your kind help.

~Jason Warner