Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2015/01/30 18:51:27 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE] Recommend retirement for NPanday poddling

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
> This is a vote on recommending a retirement option
> for the NPanday poddling.
>
> It comes on the hills of the general consensus of
> the NPanday community and its mentors that
> retirement is the only viable path at this point:
>     http://markmail.org/thread/litmh5wmwbclrk6n
>     http://s.apache.org/Efn
>
> NPanday entered incubator on 13th of August 2010:
>    http://incubator.apache.org/projects/npanday.html
> Up until 2012 the poddling was doing reasonably well,
> producing two releases and adding mentors and
> committers. Starting from 2012 the community started
> to dwindle and no further releases were produced.
> Starting from 2014 the poddling really struggled to
> regain vitality despite of numerous attempts to help
> by Brett Porter and Konstantin Boudnik. The most
> visible attempt was in July/August 2014 and resulted in
> a spur of JIRA and ML activity, but couldn't be sustained
> without direct involvement of Brett and Konstantin:
>     https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2014
> Starting from September the poddling was back to
> the usual levels:
>     http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-npanday-dev/
>     http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-npanday-commits/
>     http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-npanday-users/
> while missing Incubator reports:
>     https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/November2014
>     https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2014
> and having absolutely 0 commits coming into the repository.
> It now appears that that all of the PPMC has been disengaged
> and the user community for the project is pretty much non existent.
>
> IPMC has been monitoring the situation all throughout 2014:
>    http://markmail.org/message/3sbwfpedosyqzqhn
>    http://markmail.org/message/c2fbokolyujki3gl
>    http://markmail.org/thread/3ttavmqnq5s6pe74
>    http://markmail.org/message/bxelz5ati2hofe4y
> and at this point it feels like the most production option would
> be to recommend retirement of the poddling. Should
> the VOTE pass, Konstantin and myself are volunteering
> to take care of the poddling retirement mechanics.
>
> Vote will run for at least 72 hours (to 1/26/14, noon PST).
>
> [ ] +1 Recommend retiring NPanday poddling from the Incubator.
> [ ] +/-0 Don't care, but...
> [ ] -1 Don't recommend retiring NPanday poddling from the Incubator because ...

With the 10 +1 votes and no +/-0 or -1 votes the vote PASSES
with the following tally of +1 votes:
  Henry Saputra
  Jan I
  Hadrian Zbarcea
  Ted Dunning
  John D. Ament
  Alan D. Cabrera
  Mark Struberg
  Dave Fisher
  Konstantin Boudnik
  Roman Shaposhnik

Thanks to all who voted. Cos and I will take care of the mechanical
steps.

Thanks,
Roman.