Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by rw...@americom.com on 2000/09/19 23:45:28 UTC

Core Dump on "use DBI"

I am running Apache/1.3.9 (Unix)  (Red Hat/Linux 6.2) and DBI-1.14.

When I include a "use DBI" in the startup.pl file, Apache code dumps.

A "use DBI" in cgi scripts works OK.  However, as I need to pre-load a
few arrays with data to be shared by the child processes, I need to do
it in the startup file.

Note: httpd only code dumps when run with -X.  Without -X, it runs the
startup file ok, but seems to die before spawning any files, but in this
case, it does not print "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" and there is
no core file.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Dick

P.S.  Is there a DBI mail-list where I can also post this?

Re: Core Dump on "use DBI"

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On 20 Sep 2000 rwk@americom.com wrote:

> I did the same thing (static linking) and it now also works.
>
> FYI, I was using the Apache httpd out of the box from Redhat.  It had
> been compiled with http_core, mod_so and no other modules.  All modules
> (including mod_perl) were dynamically loaded in the httpd.conf file.
>
> I have a feeling that the bug only exists with DSO's.

redhat used to ship a mod_perl dso rpm older than mod_perl-1.22, not sure
what versions of things they're at now.
1.22 fixed a but a bug related to pre-loading xs modules, e.g. DBI.

Re: Core Dump on "use DBI"

Posted by rw...@americom.com.
I did the same thing (static linking) and it now also works.

FYI, I was using the Apache httpd out of the box from Redhat.  It had
been compiled with http_core, mod_so and no other modules.  All modules
(including mod_perl) were dynamically loaded in the httpd.conf file.

I have a feeling that the bug only exists with DSO's.

Dick

> Dick et al.
>
> Sorry for the longish multi-quoted post but I wanted to just say for anyone
> interested that
>
> 1) Dick is not the only one having this problem,
> 2) Many search results on geocrawler for DBI and segfault or SEGV or SIGSEGV
> or
>    "core dump" show that the problem is widespread
> 3) I couldn't find a decent posting anywhere outlining what to do to solve
> it.
>
> So I took a look at my system.  I was using a LinuxPPC 2000 install on a
> PowerBook (I can't recommend this config more highly!), and had apache
> 1.3.12 and mod_perl 1.21, both installed as RPMs. I figured that mod_perl as
> an RPM might not be such a hot idea (remember reading about problems with
> mod_perl and DSO) so I downloaded fresh sources for apache 1.3.12, mod_perl
> 1.24 and whatever the latest perl is that ISN'T 5.6 (something like
> 5.005003, I recall).  First I built perl and installed it, then apache, then
> mod_perl (which re-built Apache for me with mod_perl statically linked in).
>
> Everything works perfectly.  And, strangely enough, a LOT faster.  Weird.

It only supposed to be 5% faster (at run-time).

Re: Core Dump on "use DBI"

Posted by Kyle Dawkins <ky...@centralparksoftware.com>.
Dick et al.