Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2007/10/11 15:25:52 UTC

How to prevent "Checking for updates from..."

Hi all,

I have a large multi-module build, that from time to time wants to go off
to the (in our case slow) internet to "check for updates".

In the pom file, all our repositories but one (our local repo) are set to
have snapshots disabled like below, this doesn't seem to change maven
though: maven still wants to check for updates from all these repos.

Is there something else that needs to be done to stop maven checking for
updates from external repos that don't host snapshots?

The repositories are defined like this:

    <repository>
      <id>central</id>
      <url>http://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url>
      <layout>default</layout>
      <snapshots>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </snapshots>
      <releases>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
      </releases>
    </repository>

The "checking for updates" looks like this:

[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-ui:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for updates
from central
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-ui:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for updates
from codehaus
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-ui:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for updates
from codehaus-legacy
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-ui:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for updates
from eclipse.org
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-ui:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for updates
from freehep-maven
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-ii-platform:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from central
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-ii-platform:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from codehaus
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-ii-platform:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from codehaus-legacy
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-ii-platform:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from eclipse.org
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-ii-platform:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from freehep-maven
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-validation:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from central
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-validation:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from codehaus
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-validation:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from codehaus-legacy
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-validation:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from eclipse.org
[INFO] snapshot alchemy:alchemy-validation:4.3.0-SNAPSHOT: checking for
updates from freehep-maven

Regards,
Graham

RE: How to prevent "Checking for updates from..."

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On Thu, October 11, 2007 6:00 pm, Holt, Jack C. wrote:

> I'm just a newbie to maven, but I believe that is the point of
> "SNAPSHOTS". By default, if you specify that you want the snapshot
> version of a dependency, maven will check once a day for newer
> snapshots.  But that is configurable to check more or less frequently.

This is correct - all my artifacts are SNAPSHOTs, because the artifacts
are under normal development. It is reasonable for maven to go out and
check for updates for these SNAPSHOTs.

The problem is that maven seems to be polling repositories that have been
explicitly configured as _not_ hosting SNAPSHOT jars. By definition in the
project root pom, central is defined as not hosting SNAPSHOTS, and yet it
does not seem to stop maven from polling central for SNAPSHOT updates.

I am not sure if this is a bug, or if there is something wrong with my
repository definition.