Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mathiazhagan, Saravanakumar TPC" <Sa...@unisys.com> on 2021/05/18 18:53:47 UTC

ISAPI redirector for Microsoft IIS, Jboss EAP 7.2 - sticky session issue

Hi,

I am trying to configure the ISAPI redirector for Microsoft IIS web server to Jboss EAP7.2 app server and facing issues with Load balancing.
The requests for the same session are not sticking to a single server and keeps switching between different servers, hence session is getting cleared every time.

Background:
I am upgrading Jboss EAP 6.4 server to Jboss EAP 7.2 version.
We currently are using a 32-bit isapi_redirect.dll file which works fine with Jboss 6.4 including sticky session.
Existing ISAPI Redirector setup is similar to the reference guide at below link, with isapi_redirect.dll, workers.properties and uriworkermap.properties available.
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/iis.html

Issue:
When I switched to Jboss EAP 7.2 with 32-bit isapi_redirect.dll, everything else still works except the sticky session.

Server versions:
Existing App server - Jboss 6.4.19
New App server - Jboss 7.2.7
Web server - IIS 10.0.14393.0

Steps taken:
I reached out Redhat and they provided 64-bit version isapi_redirect.dll file and asked to set "Enable 32-bit Applications" to "False" in the Application Pool.
Our front end is Classic ASP 32-bit application. So, "Enable 32-bit Applications" can't be set to "False" in the Application Pool.
Redhat had only the 64-bit file. So, they suggested to use the isapi_redirect.dll 32-bit file provided by the Apache Tomcat Connectors.

I tried the isapi_redirect.dll file provided at below link, I am still facing the same issue related to sticky session.
https://apache.osuosl.org/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/windows/tomcat-connectors-1.2.48-windows-i386-iis.zip

Can you please let me know if the above 32-bit isapi_redirect.dll file can be used with Jboss EAP 7.2.7 server?
If so, please guide me on what could be causing the sticky session issue.

Regards,
Saravanakumar.

Re: ISAPI redirector for Microsoft IIS, Jboss EAP 7.2 - sticky session issue

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 21/05/2021 05:51, Mathiazhagan, Saravanakumar TPC wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
>> I suspect some sort of configuration issue. A guess would be that JBoss
>> EAOP isn't configured to append the jvmRoute (to use the Tomcat
>> configuration setting name) to the session ID.
>
> I configured IE to show prompt when cookies are set. I can see the jvmRoute
> value in JSessionID generated, with the format {someID}.{workerName}.
>
>> You may need to look at the access log and/or network traffic to see
>> what is going on. That usually sheds some light on these sorts of issues.
>
> I cross verified the access logs. One thing I noticed is consistently the
> request switches between servers. So, every time the server gets request, a
> new session (JSESSIONID) is being sent out.
>  From the network side too, no special rules are setup.
> With same jvmRoute and network settings, sticky session works properly when I
> use Jboss 6.4 version and 32-bit DLL.
>
> If the 32 bit DLL has to work fine with Jboss7.2, then I get a feeling I am
> missing something, but not able to figure out exactly what the issue is.
>
> Please let me know if there are any particular configurations that need to be
> checked.

At this point, I'd suggest tracing a series of requests from client to
server and checking, at each stage, that the behaviour is as you expect.
Where does it go wrong? That may point you in the right direction.

I'd be wanting to check things like:
- does a new request get a new session ID
- does the worker name match the node that handled the request
- do the access logs confirm the request went to the right worker

- for the second request, does the client sent the session cookie
- does the lb see the session cookie and route the request to the right
   host

It sounds like things are going wrong around this point.

Mark

RE: ISAPI redirector for Microsoft IIS, Jboss EAP 7.2 - sticky session issue

Posted by "Mathiazhagan, Saravanakumar TPC" <Sa...@unisys.com>.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick response.

>I suspect some sort of configuration issue. A guess would be that JBoss
>EAOP isn't configured to append the jvmRoute (to use the Tomcat
>configuration setting name) to the session ID.

I configured IE to show prompt when cookies are set. I can see the jvmRoute
value in JSessionID generated, with the format {someID}.{workerName}.

>You may need to look at the access log and/or network traffic to see
>what is going on. That usually sheds some light on these sorts of issues.

I cross verified the access logs. One thing I noticed is consistently the
request switches between servers. So, every time the server gets request, a
new session (JSESSIONID) is being sent out.
From the network side too, no special rules are setup.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/05/2021 19:53, Mathiazhagan, Saravanakumar TPC wrote:

<snip/>

> Can you please let me know if the above 32-bit isapi_redirect.dll file can be used with Jboss EAP 7.2.7 server?
> If so, please guide me on what could be causing the sticky session issue.

I can't think of any reason why not.