Posted to users@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2013/10/02 07:38:30 UTC

Re: Restful Objects: How to retrieve a collection of records from a table based on parameters

Have cc'ed to users@isis.a.o because I think this may be of general
interest...

On 2 October 2013 02:54, Stephen Adkins <sp...@internetdynamics.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I like what you have done with the Restful Objects spec.
> I was reading through it because we're about to develop our REST service,
> and it seems like there ought to be a standard spec for describing the
> web-facing interface.

Thanks.  There are some other standards you should also check out, though
they have a more general scope than RO.  One in particular that seems to be
doing well is HAL; see this post [1] in particular

> However, I could not figure out something.
> What resource to I address to query a database table for a collection of
> rows based on parameters? Do I have to go to the
> /services/{ServiceId}/actions/{Action}/invoke to do such a common task?

Because there are parameters, you would need to invoke an action, though it
could be on a domain object resource as well as a domain service resource.

One day we might, I suppose, add the ability to filter object collections
somehow, but there are no plans currently.

> And also, is the Restful Objects initiative still alive and well?

It is.  RO is part of Isis, of course, and there is also RO.Net [2]
implementation, available on NuGet [3].  I'm currently working on RO 1.1,
main addition being the support of autoComplete; the .NET guys are doing
the implementation as I write it.  (In general, the .NET impl tends to be
ahead of the Isis/Java impl; their view is that RO is basically the future
of the naked objects pattern... I tend to agree).

There are also some viewers.  Spiro [4], again written by the .NET guys,
provides an AngularJS-based core applib plus additional "Modern UI" [5].
 My understanding is that a different UI could be developed by replacing
some of the Angular templates [6]

We have also had two Google Summer of Code [7] students working on RO
viewers, one for Android [8, 9], one for PhoneGap [9].  That programme has
now finished; on my todo list is to bring those codebases into Isis for
further development by the students or anyone else.

Lastly, we had some discussions on the mailing list [11] a couple of weeks
about a "next gen" viewer... which we think would most likely be RO-based.

HTH
Dan

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/hal-discuss/KgTGQAqifkQ
[2] http://nakedobjects.codeplex.com/