Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org> on 2020/08/05 12:30:39 UTC

Your project website

Hi:

I am part of the Infrastructure team, and am writing to ask whether your
project is still using the Apache CMS for your project website. As you
know, the CMS is reaching end-of-life, and we need projects to move their
websites onto a different option within the next few weeks.

There are several alternatives available, including those listed on this
page [1] on managing project websites. Infra is assembling a Wiki page [2]
on migrating a website from the CMS, and is looking forward to helping
projects with this transition.

Please let me know whether your site is still on the Apache CMS and, if so,
who will be the project point-of-contact with Infra for the migration.

Thank you!

[1] https://infra.apache.org/project-site.html

[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Migrate+your+project+website+from+the+Apache+CMS

--
Andrew Wetmore
Technical Writer-Editor

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: GitHub Pages (Was: Your project website)

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
For what it's worth, GitHub Pages is simply a Jekyll-based site. If
you want something convenient like that, I highly recommend doing
something like Apache Accumulo and Apache Fluo did, to take advantage
of the ASF infrastructure, rather than rely on GitHub Pages to
generate the Jekyll.

See the Jekyll configuration at:
https://github.com/apache/fluo-website/blob/main/.asf.yaml
See the publishing instructions at:
https://github.com/apache/fluo-website#publishing
And, the rest of the content of that repo is the Jekyll-based site.

(Accumulo's site is basically the same setup, but depends on Jekyll
gem directly, rather than transitively via the GitHub Pages gem, and
added some custom ruby plugins to make writing links to issues easier
in our docs.)

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Your project website

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
You can make direct links to the file on downloads.a.o nowadays as that's
the expected method. The mirror select is now a backend detail of the
download site itself.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Your project website

Posted by Davyd McColl <da...@gmail.com>.
Matt
> [...]

> been
>
> >> taking at least 30 minutes. My experience in committing the preview
> site to
>
> >> my personal GitHub site has shown that it is significantly faster.

> >> https://github.com/apache/logging-site <
>
> >> https://github.com/apache/logging-site>. I used jbake to generate the
>
> >> CMS portion of the site. It is pretty easy. All you have to do is

> >> view it by opening docs/index.html in the browser.

> >> site on the asf-staging branch and the live site at master. However, the
>
> >> instructions for the staging site seem to imply using pypubsub where I
> am
>
> >> attempting to use GitHub Pages for the live site. These seem to
> conflict as
>
> >> GitHub pages wants the site in the /docs directory while pypubsub seems
>
> >> imply it needs to be in the root directory.

Matt Sicker

Re: Your project website

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
You can link directly to

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Your project website

Posted by Davyd McColl <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Your project website

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Yes, I thought I had checked them but I can confirm those 2 sites are getting a 404. I have created https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-20799 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-20799> to get some help determining what the problem might be.

I have also created https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LOGGING/Managing+the+Git+Hosted+Web+Site <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LOGGING/Managing+the+Git+Hosted+Web+Site> to document editing the site and sub-projects.

Ralph

Re: Your project website

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
All the sites should now be online.

Ralph

Re: Your project website

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Your project website

Posted by Robert Middleton <os...@gmail.com>.

Re: Your project website

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Your project website

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Your project website

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Your project website

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Your project website

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Your project website

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Your project website

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org>.
Hi, all:

Yes, the migration of your CMS pages should not be too troublesome, whether
you want to stay on Subversion or move over to Git.

Someone said this was the first time they had heard of the requirement to
move off the CMS. The first emails went out about a year ago, long before I
joined Infra, and the majority of projects have completed their migrations.

When the move is complete, please let us know, with a PMC statement
approving our removal of project artifacts from the CMS.

Thanks!

Andrew

Re: Your project website

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 at 19:45, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only site under CMS is the Commons site, not each site generated by RMs
> for each component.

Also AFAICT Commons site does not use any of the CMS special features,
so it at most needs a script to build and publish it.

Re: Your project website

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: Your project website

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Your project website

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Aug 5, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The CMS is the transformation system itself from my understanding. I
> don't believe svnpubsub is being deprecated here. Our landing page
> templates may need to be converted, but that's about it.

Thanks Matt for that clarification.

-Rob

Re: Your project website

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.