Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2018/07/19 21:09:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] Separate Git Repository for HBCK2

Hi,

I've had the opportunity to talk about HBCK2 with a few of you. One of the
suggestions is to to have a separate git repository for HBCK2. Lets discuss
about it.

In the past when bugs were found in hbck, there is no easy way to release
patched version of just hbck (without patching HBase). If HBCK2 has a
separate git repo, HBCK2 versions will not be tightly related to HBase
versions. Fixing and releasing hbck2, may not require patching HBase.
Though tight coupling will be somewhat loosened, HBCK2 will still depend on
HBase APIs/ code. Caution will be required going forward regarding
compatibility.

What you all think?

Thanks,
Umesh

JIRA:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-19121.
Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NxSFu4TKQ6lY-9J5qsCcJb9kZOnkfX66KMYsiVxBy0Y/edit?usp=sharing

Re: [DISCUSS] Separate Git Repository for HBCK2

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 8:53 AM Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> (-cc user as this I'm getting purely into code development topics)
>
> First off, thanks for working on an hbck2, Umesh!
>
> I like the idea of having a separate repository for tracking HBCK and
> the flexibility it gives us for making releases at a cadence of our
> choosing.
>
> There are two worries that come to mind immediately:
>
> * How often does HBCK make decisions on how to implement a correction
> based on some known functionality (e.g. a bug) in a specific version(s)
> of HBase. Concretely, would HBCK need to make corrections to an HBase
> installation that are specific to a subset of HBase 2.x.y versions that
> may not be valid for other 2.x.y versions?

hbck2 should be able to do this -- execute a fix ONLY if version matches. I
add your suggestion to Umesh's attached doc.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
bq. Seems like you're saying it's not a problem now, but
you're not sure if it would become a problem. Regardless of that, it's a
goal to not be version-specific (and thus, we can have generic hbck-v1
and hbck-v2 tools). LMK if I misread, please :)

Thats right.

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Josh! separate 'operator-tools' repo for hbase tools is a great
suggestion. We can work towards it starting with hbck2. Each existing tool
needs to be looked in detail regarding how much code it shares with HBase.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Yes, and in that vein also VerifyReplication and tools of that nature.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Separate Git Repository for HBCK2

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Separate Git Repository for HBCK2

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
We could try LimitedPrivate(HBCK) and see how it goes.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Separate Git Repository for HBCK2

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Separate Git Repository for HBCK2

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I have made more progress on the hbck2 tool. It can actually do damage now.
Would appreciate input, especially while it is early days, on the form it
is taking. Please see
https://github.com/apache/hbase-operator-tools/tree/master/hbase-hbck2
There is also a start on a doc to outline the hbck shape here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Oun4G3M5fyrM0OxXcCKYF8td0KD7gJQjnU9Ad-2t-uk/edit#heading=h.64hssul3ontj
Would appreciate any input here too.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.