Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/10 15:53:02 UTC

The committer screen now shows if the id does not appear to be
subscribed to the private@ list for any of the committees to which it
belongs.

However the marker only appears if the logged-in user has sufficient
karma, i.e. it's their id or they have root or secretary karma.

A missing marker could either mean the id is subscribed, or the check
has not been done due to lack of karma.

It might be better to always show a marker, i.e. is the subbed status:

- OK
- not subbed
- not known

Alternatively, would be reveal too much private info if the status was
always checked, regardless of user karma?

These considerations also apply to the committee screen.
Obviously actual mail addresses should not be shown if the user does
not have karma, but would it be wrong to show every committer the sub
status for every committee member?

S.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10 December 2017 at 18:49, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> sebb wrote on 12/10/17 10:53 AM:
>> The committer screen now shows if the id does not appear to be
>> subscribed to the private@ list for any of the committees to which it
>> belongs.
>>
>> However the marker only appears if the logged-in user has sufficient
>> karma, i.e. it's their id or they have root or secretary karma.
>
> Members are allowed to see things like this, but we don't have to build
> the feature it if's too much work (it's rarely needed in general).

Note that the coding to do the checks is already done.
What's missing is extending the karma checks and extending the
checking to show additional statuses.

I think it's useful for PMCs to know if their members are subscribed,
and it may be useful for each PMC member to know if they are recorded
as properly subscribed.

> lists in projects they are not a PMC member on.

Indeed; I was not suggesting that.

> I personally would be happy to show any PMC members for projectX all
> subscription data for private@projectX.  PMC members understanding if
> all the PMC is subscribed could be important for a PMC - but there's no
> need for PMC members to see data about other projects.

moderators (not PMC members) but it can be shown to PMC and ASF
members without needing to reveal the actual mail addresses used.

> Does that make sense?  Not sure how to implement myself.

Yes. Mostly implemented, as noted above.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.