Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/12 13:18:24 UTC

A suggestion: podling post-mortems

I'd like to make a suggestion - after a podling graduates or is terminated,
the podling's mentors should be responsible for putting together a post
mortem report, or an exit interview, or whatever you want to call it. This
would cover the pain points in onboarding the podling, particular issues
hit during incubation, what made the podling easier or harder to get to
graduation, and ideally a self assessment of what the mentors think they
could have done better.

I think this would be very valuable - it'd help shine a light on
inefficiencies in getting into the ASF's infrastructure, show things to
watch for/discuss in podling cultural integration, and provide more
information and self-support for future mentors.

Thoughts?

A.

Re: A suggestion: podling post-mortems

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 10/12/2015 11:55 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> Since when is the incubation process a race that must be completed in the
> least amount of time? If it is, it would surely validate (for some) cutting
> corners and push-through actions (and associated tactics). Is that what the
> ASF wants or needs?

Help us understand how you jumped from this email thread to that
conclusion, because I'm not seeing it.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: A suggestion: podling post-mortems

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Greg,

That clarifies a lot.

Best regards,

Pierre

Op dinsdag 13 oktober 2015 heeft Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> het volgende
geschreven:

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>> ...<Director>It would be very welcome to have this attached to a graduation
>> resolution, so that we could have some background beyond just a boilerplate
>> "time to graduate" message....
>
> I agree, and IMO our maturity model [1] would provide a good framework
> for such a report.

+1 to both of the above.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 10/12/2015 10:49 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...I'd like to make a suggestion - after a podling graduates or is terminated,
>> the podling's mentors should be responsible for putting together a post
>> mortem report, or an exit interview, or whatever you want to call it...
>
> I like the idea, not sure how that would look but I'd welcome an
> experiment at least.

<Director>It would be very welcome to have this attached to a graduation
resolution, so that we could have some background beyond just a
boilerplate "time to graduate" message. That may delay the actual time
to graduate, but would allow us to be more than a rubber stamp, but
actually offer some oversight.</Director>

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
I like this idea, +1.