Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/05 13:32:56 UTC

Re: [PROPOSE] Release DeviceMap-data and other dependencies (with connection URL etc. fixed)

Hi,

I think that might work. The JAR (or WAR using it) will fail at runtime
until that external JAR is placed in the web-inf/lib folder, but given that
small inconvenience, I don't see why we could not release it without the
W3C JAR.

Werner

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...The W3C DDR client is here
> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/devicemap/trunk/clients/w3c-ddr/ ...

As previously discussed, this cannot be released due to the
lib/w3c.jar, Apache releases cannot contain such binaries.

Replacing that jar with a README indicating where people can get that
library code would be ok.

-Bertrand

Re: [PROPOSE] Release DeviceMap-data and other dependencies (with connection URL etc. fixed)

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Radu,

Unfortunately you did not answer the question before, but the folder at
Sling (I know the Update site may consist of several other signed JARs)
brings us in the right direction.

Following a release of say devicemap-data-1.0.4 into a signed ZIP file
and/or Maven repository, could we also put the XML files into a proper form
(of a W3C Device Repository, somewhat similar to what you have in the P2
repo) so all clients that support remote URL loading may use that?

It should not be a problem to sign each XML file individually like it's
done with Maven POMs (also XML files) but again, the signed archive of a
new version as well as the Maven repository are worthless, especially for
the .NET clients, those don't know JAR files or Maven. And since the Maven
repo also contains signed JAR files, this repo is no good for .NET, only a
local or remote folder/URL.

Would that work after a release?
Only then such release would be "productive" and useful to a final release
of clients that can be releases (e.g. the Java client) otherwise we would
all waste our time because the clients cannot use the archives.

Is there a way to do that after a release?

Thanks,
Werner

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 Radu wrote:

Werner,

Why is it so hard to understand that a release, even for data files, needs
to follow a process? Why do we always need to have a never-ending list of
messages (10 from you alone on this thread) for simple things? Why do we
always need to point fingers at other projects when the release process is
the same for every ASF project?

Instead of writing 10 messages you could have spent that time more
productively by just preparing the signed release archive...

Just a FYI: the Sling example you're pointing at with a not-working URL is
actually the expansion of a *signed release archive*
-http://apache.org/dist/sling/org.apache.sling.ide.p2update-1.1.0.zip
- and
is there for convenience.

Regards,
Radu

Re: [PROPOSE] Release DeviceMap-data and other dependencies (with connection URL etc. fixed)

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Or take Apache Brooklyn's Blueprint catalog:
http://brooklyn.apache.org/learnmore/catalog/catalog-item.html#!entities/org.apache.brooklyn.entity.messaging.activemq.ActiveMQBroker
It's also clearly "code", but made available via the website.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/devicemap/trunk/data/1.0/device-data/src/main/resources/devicedata/BrowserDataSource.xml?revision=1717108&view=markup

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
I understand they "usually are" but still Karaf distributes its
documentation in various ways like
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/

and
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/karaf/documentation/4_x.html

Which also includes a mirror of folders like
http://apache.org/dist/karaf/documentation/4_x.html

I don't care how exactly we call it, but something like the
"documentation" folder where KARAF offers HTML or PDF files directly
(not inside a ZIP) is also a requirement for DeviceMap.

Reza chose the VM http://devicemap-vm.apache.org/data/ because he did
not know better or wanted to have sole control over making it
available, but the fact alone that HTTP and FTP servers are mirrored
all over the world while the VM often breaks down and there is no
mirror of it speaks for a different solution.

DeviceMap Client (Java, C# or VB) cannot load data from a remote
archive or JAR. The "JAR" option is only for a JAR deployed to the
classpath.

So in order to use data available online we should be able to put at
least the latest version of the last release of the Data files to a
working URL. Whether that's HTTP, FTP or both makes no difference,
both should work. HTTPS would be an overkill since it's publicly
available information.

I'll rephrase the essence into a new thread.

Werner

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Is there a reason why the XML files could not be put under something like
> http://www.apache.org/dist/devicemap/data/1.0.4?...

Apache release are usually tar or zip archives, including license, notice etc.

If you can prepare such an archive for release we can vote on it and
it then goes underhttps://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/devicemap/
as usual.

-Bertrand

Werner Keil | JCP Executive Committee Member, JSR 363 Co Spec Lead |
Eclipse UOMo Lead, Babel Language Champion | Apache Committer

Twitter @wernerkeil | @UnitAPI | @JSR354 | @AgoravaProj | @DeviceMap
| #DevOps | #EclipseUOMo
Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
What about DeviceMap Data?

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.