Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/01 22:55:10 UTC

possible alternative to very large scale SVD's

Jake,

You asked a bit ago about strategies for very large SVD's.

I wonder if interpolative decompositions might be an avenue toward that.

See, for instance, Less is More: Compact Matrix Decomposition for Large
Sparse Graphs <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jimeng/papers/SunSDM07.pdf>

The idea is that if your basis vectors are sparse, you might do much better
in terms of space.

Re: possible alternative to very large scale SVD's

Posted by Akshay Bhat <ak...@gmail.com>.
Interesting...
There is a much more recent work by their group [Faloutsos et al.] on mining
Peta scale graphs using Hadoop,
they have released their code called as Pegasus under Apache License.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pegasus/

I am currently using their code, and It would be a worthwhile addition to
the Mahout.
I remember reading presentation by someone, (I guess it was by Jake Mannix)
about
how matrix multiplication is basis for most of the operations. Their group
seems to have
developed a block based algorithm to speed up multiplication of a Sparse
Matrix with a
dense column vector and using this multiplication as a primitive they have
implemented
 numerous algorithms optimized for use on hadoop/map-reduce.

--
Akshay Uday Bhat.
Graduate Student, Computer Science, Cornell University