Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Super User <su...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/01 18:56:18 UTC

New home for OpenOffice instead of Apache?

This is not a legal issue.

I have great concerns that by bringing OpenOffice over to Apache that
OpenOffice has been harmed. I would like to see discussion about finding a
friendly home for OpenOffice instead of abandoning it for LibreOffice.

Even though there has been a mass exodus of support for OpenOffice, I
believe it will come back if a friendly home of OO can be found

>From my own perspective, LibreOffice has lost all possible support by being
crammed down my throat without the option of a planned migration. I have
lost my dictionaries, templates, and extensions. It will take about three
weeks off-and-on to find where the files are and re-integrate them into a
re-installed OpenOffice. Some of the blame belongs to Debian and just on
principal Gnome for giving us Gnome 3.

I strongly believe that the way it was pushed upon me and others should
make it something that will be cast aside.

My area of expertise is not writing code, although in a pinch I will do a
modification. My area is to bring understanding to lay people about Linux.
LibreOffice and Gnome 3 makes my work that much more difficult.

I do not have the connections dealing with computer contacts or networking
in this field. If a university should be a source for protecting
OpenOffice, I could walk across the street and talk to the folks at
Michigan State University to see if something can be done. I do not know
the IT department, but I do know the President, Lou Anna K. Simon, at least
we say hello to one another and if I need an appointment with her for just
reasons, I can usually get it. Although I don't think this will be in her
area.

I would prefer that if a discussion starts, that at first, it is kept off
of the forums for now.

I would appreciate comments, unofficial at this point, about again moving
OO. I would have thought that coming to Apache was the right step. I was
not involved with the move, but I will admit when I am wrong and at least
take a moral acknowledgment that I was wrong.

If everything I am hearing about what is happening to OO is wrong, I would
like to hear this, too.

Re: New home for OpenOffice instead of Apache?

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@gmail.com>.
>From my own perspective, ASF is a good place for OpenOffice. At least
much better than
a business company. ASF has a long history and proved himself for
hosting such a project.

I see you experienced some user data lost problems when
migrating/upgrading OpenOffice.
You can either report issues or seek some tips in user forums about
migrating user data.

AOO 3.4 is coming out, you may give a try. You may not a coder. But
you can think about how
to share your migration experience with others if you like.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Super User <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> If everything I am hearing about what is happening to OO is wrong, I would
> like to hear this, too.

Maybe start by telling us what you are hearing?  i hope we can put you at ease.

-Rob