Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Max Stolyarov <MS...@Novarra.com> on 2001/11/20 19:28:31 UTC

Bug with SMTPAppender and AppenderAttachableImpl classes

Hi,

    I am new to this e-mail list, so please help me out. This is my problem.
I am using SMTPAppender to send e-mail messages to users when certain events
are received by the log server from the external application. What I noticed
in my testing was that events are being send to users even after the
instance of SMTPAppender was stopped or removed. This is how I discovered
the problem:

1. I created an SMTPAppender and added a filter to it
2. I started to receive events and relaying them to users
3. I removed SMTPAppender
4. I am still processing events and sending them to users, but now I get the
message "LOG4J:ERROR trying to append to closed appender" or something like
this.
5. Then, I created another appender with the same name.
6. Now, I am getting two identical messages send to my inbox for the same
received event.

Results of experiment clearly demonstrated to me that an instance of
SMTPAppender was somehow not properly released by log4j and still used for
processing messages after being removed. So, I modified the code of several
class in the log4j source code, SMTPAppender.java and
AppenderAttachableImpl.java, and now everything seems to work fine. Please
let me know if anybody reported this bug before and if not, how can I submit
request for a bug fix and where to. Thanks

Max Stolyarov
NOVARRA
3232 Kennicott Ave
Arlington Heights, Illinois  60004