Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Bryan Ellis <er...@apache.org> on 2020/01/28 14:59:01 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Drop Android 4.4 Support

I would like to open the discussion and vote to *drop Android 4.4 (KitKat)
support* in the upcoming next major release.

As of Dec 2019, Stat Counter reports that the *market share for Android 4.4
is only at 2.6%*.

Additionally, there is a report of *128 vulnerabilities in Android 4.4.4*.
As far as security updates for KitKat, there are none. The last release of
KitKat was 5 years and 2 months ago.

I think it is safe to say that deprecating Android 4.4 support is a good
move.

Lastly, IF the votes are more in favor of dropping, the next question would
be what version should be supported at minimum.

Looking back at the Stat Counter[1] , it shows:
* Android 5.0 (Lollipop) has 1.46% market share
* Android 5.1 (Lollipop) has 6.04% market share

Looking at the percentage, maybe we could decide on starting from version
5.1 at a minimum. (Android 5.0 + Android 4.4 = 4.06% that will not be
supported)

To sum up the proposal, I want to vote on:
* Drop Android 4.4
* Support Android 5.1 at minimum (Android >= 5.1 = 95.94% coverage)

*Reference Links*
*Stat Counter*
[1]
https://gs.statcounter.com/android-version-market-share/mobile-tablet/worldwide
*Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures Details*
[2]
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-1224/product_id-19997/version_id-177951/Google-Android-4.4.4.html

Re: [PROPOSAL] Drop Android 4.4 Support

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
+1 to drop everything before 5.1

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.
I think we have consensus now to start dropping support for Android
4.4 & 5.0, minimum is now 5.1. Reasoning and explanations are clear to
me, seem to be clear to others. I think we would go through the normal
process on GitHub, which we know to be a major breaking change.

Switching the browser code to ES6 would be a separate discussion,
which I would be interested in as well.

Thanks!

Posted by Gearoid M <de...@gearoid.me>.
+1 on setting the minimum to 5.1

Personally, I always set the minimum for my own apps to 5.1 anyway as React doesn't work on 5.0 or below without polyfills

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Ellis <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 to drop Android 4.4 support