Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Michael Chen <yi...@u.northwestern.edu> on 2017/08/06 00:29:03 UTC

Best practice for Nutch 2.x on AWS?

Hi,

I'm trying to set up Nutch 2.x on AWS EC2 clusters, and I was wondering
if anyone know of a "best set up" for it. The hadoop and hbase version
in current EMR releases doesn't seem to work with Nutch 2.x. Does it
sound like a good idea to manually set up Hadoop clusters and then run
Nutch on it? Will I be able to use S3 as data storage so that I can keep
the data when EC2 instance stops?

Any suggestions would be very much helpful!

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Re: Best practice for Nutch 2.x on AWS?

Posted by Divjot Singh <di...@gmail.com>.
Glad you found the solution.

Posted by Michael Chen <yi...@u.northwestern.edu>.

Posted by Michael Chen <yi...@u.northwestern.edu>.
Hi Divjot,

Posted by Michael Chen <yi...@u.northwestern.edu>.
Hi Divjot,

Posted by Michael Chen <yi...@u.northwestern.edu>.
Hi Divjot,

Posted by Michael Chen <yi...@u.northwestern.edu>.
The problem was caused by mismatched JDK versions. I had to use 1.8 to
compile Ant and Nutch, but CloudEra Manager defaults to JDK1.6 or 1.7.
Solution is to override JAVA_HOME in hosts configurations and restart
cluster...

Posted by Michael Chen <yi...@u.northwestern.edu>.
Hi,

Posted by Divjot Singh <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Sebastian Nagel <wa...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Michael,

except for HBase and Solr nothing has to be deployed or installed.

On the Hadoop master node:
- build Nutch via
   ant runtime
- point NUTCH_HOME to the directory where the job file is placed
   export NUTCH_HOME=.../runtime/deploy
- run
   $NUTCH_HOME/bin/nutch ....
  the Hadoop job is then launched via "hadoop jar $NUTCH_HOME/*.job ..."
  Of course, the executable "hadoop" must be on your path, but that should
  be the case on the master node.

> Is there a good reference for Nutch2 deployment?

I do not know one, but haven't searched for.
The tutorials in the Nutch wiki need an update, esp. for distributed mode in combination with 2.x

Best,
Sebastian

Posted by Michael Chen <yi...@u.northwestern.edu>.
Hi Sebastian,