Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@nc.rr.com> on 2002/01/11 15:30:23 UTC

Re: [vote] POI commiters (was: RE: [vote] Accepting donated POI serializers/generators)

Hi All,

I see the discussion has gotten a bit more lively as I was asleep.  I'd
like to address the concerns directly.

The donation is a Serializer and very shortly a Generator and those
generators/serializers that roll out as the MS Word effort pipes up.

The problem was shared code between the generator and serializer could
not be capitalized upon in the format it was in without some very nasty
cross package import statements.  Nor could the common serialization
code that will be used for ALL POI-based serializers be capitalized on.
This was mostly a packaging issue, but Ken also had some great ideas
that will help us down the road.  The code was designed to be shared,
just not packaged as such.

I don't foresee this happening again.  Its a matter of the project
vision has expanded (to keep us busy) and the infrastructure had to as
well.

My attitude toward the generators and serializers is that they should
happen early on in and late in the development cycle of POI.  (We're
very iterative).  Marc's serialization framework makes it very easy to
add new things to the serializer and I like to see this kind of work
done at the end of the cycle when the API is frozen or at the beginning
(like now) to "catch up" to the API.

So the plan is "release early and release often" for the development
code and always have a stable build which occasionally gets bug fixes.
Think of it as Cocoon 2.1-dev versus 2.0.  The builds almost always
work, the unit tests keep us in line and the work on the API moves along
while the serializer work happens at the beginning and end of the
project.

I basically agree with your philosophy of updating the jars on occasion
and the serializer at the same time.  I'd like to talk more on how to
divide this into a stable and development branch should we move
forward.  I don't think there is any real disagreement here.

-Andy

PS There is other development that you don't see in the commit logs,
happening right now as well.  We are collaborating with the responsible
developer from OpenOffice.org to fully document the Excel File format.
I intent to do the same for the Word File Format which is gearing up
shortly.  We wrote the schema for gnumeric (needed the documentation)
and will be help making sure it stays up to date (but the gnumeric folks
are responsible for it).

www.superlinksoftware.com
			- fix java generics!

vote.