Posted to users@maven.apache.org by adingfelder <Di...@SirTrack.com> on 2007/01/23 23:53:53 UTC

maven-surefire-plugin not found

When doing a maven build, I get errors where maven is looking at
maven-surefire-plugin.
I tried to disable the tests in my pom.xml but it did not help.

(I have attached the pom and output below.)

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy

==============================
pom.xml
==============================

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>common_java</groupId>
  <artifactId>common_java</artifactId>
  <version>0.0.1</version>
  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <configuration>
          <skip>true</skip>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
    <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>log4j</groupId>
      <artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
      <version>1.2.8</version>
    </dependency>
  <dependency>
    <groupId>com.serialio</groupId>
    <artifactId>serialIO</artifactId>
    <version>7.2</version>
    <scope>system</scope>
    <systemPath>C:/projects/3rd_party/jars/Serialio-7.2.jar</systemPath>
  </dependency>
  </dependencies>
</project>

==============================
maven output:
==============================

[DEBUG] Building Maven user-level plugin registry from:
'<home>\.m2\plugin-registry.xml'
[DEBUG] Building Maven user-level plugin registry from:
'<home>\.m2\plugin-registry.xml'
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Unnamed - common_java:common_java:jar:0.0.1
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO]
[DEBUG] maven-resources-plugin: resolved to version 2.2 from repository
central
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins::1 for
project: null:maven-resources-plugin:maven-plugin:2.2 from the repository.
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache.maven:maven-parent::1 for project:
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins:pom:1 from the repository.
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache:apache::1 for project:
org.apache.maven:maven-parent:pom:1 from the repository.
[DEBUG] maven-compiler-plugin: resolved to version 2.0.1 from repository
central
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins::1 for
project: null:maven-compiler-plugin:maven-plugin:2.0.1 from the repository.
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache.maven:maven-parent::1 for project:
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins:pom:1 from the repository.
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache:apache::1 for project:
org.apache.maven:maven-parent:pom:1 from the repository.
[DEBUG] maven-surefire-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the
latest version

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:pom:LATEST

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:pom:LATEST
[DEBUG] maven-surefire-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the
release version

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:pom:RELEASE

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:pom:RELEASE
[ERROR] project-execute : common_java:common_java:jar:0.0.1 (  task-segment:
[install] )
Diagnosis: The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin' does
not exist or no valid version could be found
FATAL ERROR: Error executing Maven for a project
[ERROR] reactor-execute : C:\projects\common_java
Diagnosis: The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin' does
not exist or no valid version could be found
FATAL ERROR: Error executing Maven for a project
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin' does not
exist or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[DEBUG] Trace The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin'
does not exist or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: < 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Wed Jan 24 11:38:06 NZDT 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/3M
[INFO]
[INFO] Error for project: Unnamed - common_java:common_java:jar:0.0.1
(during install)
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin' does not
exist or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[DEBUG] Trace The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin'
does not exist or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[ERROR] reactor-execute : C:\projects\common_java
FATAL ERROR: Error executing Maven for a project
[INFO] BUILD ERRORS
[INFO]

Re: maven-surefire-plugin not found

Posted by adingfelder <Di...@SirTrack.com>.
Trying to poke at it from a different direction, I may have found something.

I went to
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin
and the plugin files are definately there.

Looking at my repository, there was a surefire directory, which contained
one file: maven-metadata-central.xml

Looking at that file, I see

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><metadata>
</metadata>

comparing this to the contents of maven-metadata.xml contained in
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><metadata>
  <version>2.1.3</version>
  <versioning>
    <latest>2.2</latest>
    <release>2.2</release>
    <versions>
      <version>2.0-beta-1</version>
      <version>2.0</version>
      <version>2.1</version>
      <version>2.1.1</version>
      <version>2.1.2</version>
      <version>2.1.3</version>
      <version>2.2</version>
    </versions>
    <lastUpdated>20060514041238</lastUpdated>
  </versioning>
</metadata>

Once I updated the xml file to the same contained on the website, my install
got past the surefire plugin failure.

Now it is blowing up on something else, so time for more digging :)

Re: maven-surefire-plugin not found

Posted by adingfelder <Di...@SirTrack.com>.
The folks in the plugin forum don't think there is an easy way to accomplish
this (using a -cpu switch) from within the eclipse maven plugin.

So, trying it from the command line, I still get the same error that I did
from the plugin (shown below), which tells me it is maybe an error in my
maven setup / environment, and not specifically a plugin error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

++++++++++++++++++++++++

C:\WINDOWS>mvn -cpu -e install  -DpomFile=C:\projects\common_java\pom.xml
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Maven Default Project
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO]
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin' does not
exist or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: The plugin
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin' does not exist or no valid
version could be found
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1281)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1517)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.bindLifecycleForPackaging(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1011)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.constructLifecycleMappings(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:975)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:453)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:306)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:273)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:140)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)
        at
        at
        at
        at
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.version.PluginVersionNotFoundException:
The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin' does not exist
or no valid version could be found
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePluginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:225)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePluginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:87)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyPlugin(DefaultPluginManager.java:158)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1252)
        ... 18 more
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Thu Jan 25 09:22:09 NZDT 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 2M/4M
[INFO]

>>> xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0

Posted by adingfelder <Di...@SirTrack.com>.