Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Igor Galić <ig...@apache.org> on 2013/11/13 02:32:35 UTC

[VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Hi folks,

I've prepared a release for v4.1.1, which is a bug fix release
following our new release process and Versioning scheme:

    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/Release+Management

We're still working out the kinks: After finding a regression in 4.1.0
we could've called a this here RC2, but version numbers are cheap,
so we burned it.

Changes since v4.0.2 are captured in the following Jira tickets:

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12325577&styleName=&projectId=12310963

The following issues have been fixed since 4.1.0:

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2341?jql=project%20%3D%20TS%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%224.1.1%22%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%224.2.0%22

Information about upgrading to this release from v3.2.x is available at:

    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/Upgrading+to+v4.0

The cache in this release is compatible with the previous 4.0.x releases.

The artefacts are available for download at

  http://people.apache.org/~igalic/releases/

-rw-r--r-- 1 igalic igalic 6358526 Nov 13 01:54 trafficserver-4.1.1.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 igalic igalic     836 Nov 13 01:54 trafficserver-4.1.1.tar.bz2.asc
-rw-r--r-- 1 igalic igalic      62 Nov 13 01:54 trafficserver-4.1.1.tar.bz2.md5
-rw-r--r-- 1 igalic igalic      70 Nov 13 01:54 trafficserver-4.1.1.tar.bz2.sha1

MD5: 82a00a5c54dd62525a831fd7bd45937a
SHA: 790a7bb86734eb2fb4c3a1a978ccb64a8a314488

The vote is open until Monday morning,  November 18th. Lets makes sure this is
another great release, so please everyone, download and test this version as
much as you can.

Thanks,

-- Igor

Re: [CANCEL] Release v4.1.1

Posted by "Adam W. Dace" <co...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a bunch for the explanation.  Guess I'm going to sit tight and wait
for v4.1.2.

Regards,

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM, Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> wrote:

> I've been asked to explain what exactly the consequence is
> of TS-2384 and if it causes the cache to be reinitialized.
>
> That is not the case. The background is that the generated
> cache-lookup *key* is wrong in 4.1.x. This means that the
> existing objects on the disks will stay in place, but we
> won't be able to find them, because we are looking in the
> wrong place. As such we simply store the object again.
>
> That's /almost/ the same for people running with a 60 TiB
> cache, because everything requested is also stored again,
> and after a while the old objects that have been lying around
> for a while will be rotated out so that's bad. People with
> tiny caches or very high turn overs might even notice the
> downward spike in 304s.
>
> The good news is that we have identified the cause[1] real
> quick and are preparing a fix and regression tests to catch
> these things in the future.
>
> I have also updated the Jira ticket with this explanation.
>
> So long,

> [1]:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=trafficserver.git;a=commitdiff;h=c40c601c9167c4937f972daf7825821e527a5f67

Adam W. Dace <co...@gmail.com>

Phone: (815) 355-5848
Microsoft Messenger - colonelforbin74@live.com <ad...@turing.com>

Google Profile: https://plus.google.com/u/0/109309036874332290399/about

Re: [CANCEL] Release v4.1.1

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Re: [CANCEL] Release v4.1.1

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

[CANCEL] Release v4.1.1

[CANCEL] Release v4.1.1

Re: [VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.
Thanks for the testing and feedback, this vote passes.
I've made the decision to push through with this release
despite the many problem reports we've had and the main
reason is that I want to flesh out the release process, which
is still very young.

I'll update the download page and send out announcements as soon
as the mirrors have updated.

Re: [VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 Been running in production over the weekend on three hosts (RHEL 6.4) without any problems.

-Bryan

Re: [VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Posted by "Alan M. Carroll" <am...@network-geographics.com>.
Hey, Igor, could you take a look at this?

Friday, November 15, 2013, 3:22:03 AM, you wrote:

> In this particular instance,
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2351

I made some notes on the bug, I think we've seen this before. IMHO it's part of the general range handling problems we've had that I need to fix.

Re: [VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Posted by Igor Galić <ig...@apache.org>.
People,

Some of you keep mailing /me/ instead of the list when they have a
concern that something is broken.

Please don't do that. On the contrary, if you suspect something is
broken, we want as many people as possible to see, verify, and then
swiftly find a fix.

In this particular instance,

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-2351

Thank you for your attention,

-- Igor

Re: [VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Posted by Thomas Berger <th...@it.piratenpartei.de>.
Hi,

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Thomas Berger

Vorstand: Bernd Schlömer, Sebastian Nerz, Markus Barenhoff, Swanhild
Goetze, Sven Schomacker, Katharina Nocun, Klaus Peukert,
Christophe Chan Hin, Andi Popp

Re: [VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Posted by 英才 <b1...@gmail.com>.
+1 Test and build v4.1.1 success on cents 6 x86_64

-1 This (ts-2340)bug still exists. anyone can fix it ?

在 2013年11月13日,上午9:32,Igor Galić <ig...@apache.org> 写道:

Re: [VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Posted by Thomas Berger <th...@it.piratenpartei.de>.
Hi,

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Thomas Berger

Re: [VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Posted by Mohd Akhbar <my...@gmail.com>.
Compiled on Centos 6.4 64bit with
configure --with-expat=/usr/local/lib --enable-experimental-plugins
--with-hwloc --with-xml=expat

looks fine ATM.

Re: [VOTE] Release v4.1.1

Posted by Mohd Akhbar <my...@gmail.com>.