Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christian Piccardi <am...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/22 14:01:16 UTC

Re: [m2] ant tasks and SNAPSHOTs

Brett Porter <brett.porter <at> gmail.com> writes:

> It's missing the timestamp, indicating to me that jar.pom might be
> turning off the build numbering? In which case it is correct to always
> use -SNAPSHOT but is a bug if that isn't being redownloaded when it
> changes.
>
> - Brett
>
> On 10/25/05, Dave Brondsema <dave <at> brondsema.net> wrote:
> > I deploy with:
> >
> > <artifact:deploy file="${dist.home}/${app.name}.${jar.dist.suffix}">
> >         <remoteSnapshotRepository refid="jar.repo.cu" />
> >         <pom refid="jar.pom" />
> > </artifact:deploy>
> >
> > The repository's maven-metadata.xml has:
> > <metadata>
> >   <groupId>edu.cornerstone.portal.eforms</groupId>
> >   <artifactId>eforms</artifactId>
> >   <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
> >   <versioning>
> >     <snapshot>
> >       <buildNumber>89</buildNumber>
> >     </snapshot>
> >     <lastUpdated>20051025124212</lastUpdated>
> >   </versioning>
> > </metadata>
> >
> > The local repository of the box that deployed the artifact has the same
> > contents in maven-metadata-remote.xml
> >
> > However, when other users download the artifact from the repository
> > their maven-metadata-remote.xml does not have any <versioning> tags.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
> >
> > Brett Porter wrote:
> > > How were the snapshots deployed? The mechanism now relies on the
> > > correct management of maven-metadata.xml.
> > >
> > > - Brett

> > > For additional commands, e-mail: users-help <at> maven.apache.org
> > >

> > --
> > Dave Brondsema
> > Software Developer
> > Cornerstone University

We are currently encountering exactly the same problem.
Deploying snapshots to the repository currently located on a windows fileshare
works fine. Timestamps(lastUpdated) and buildnumbers are set correctly in
maven-metadata.xml.
Whenever a user tries to get the newest snapshot from the repository only the
local maven-metadata-remote.xml gets updated to reflect the new buildnumber, the
artifact itself is never updated though.

so for example after checking for new snapshots, the following
maven-metadata-remote.xml gets downloaded
reflecting the newest version in the remote repository but the artifact
currently in the local repository
(build 5) is not replaced

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><metadata>
  <groupId>group</groupId>
  <artifactId>artifact</artifactId>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <versioning>
    <snapshot>
      <buildNumber>6</buildNumber>
      <localCopy>true</localCopy>
    </snapshot>
    <lastUpdated>20060222120250</lastUpdated>
  </versioning>
</metadata>

We are using maven-artifact-ant-2.0.2-dep.jar

What information is used to decide when to download a new snapshot?
Which xml-files should be present in the remote and local repositories?

Thanks in advance,
Christian

Re: [m2] ant tasks and SNAPSHOTs

Posted by Christian Piccardi <am...@gmail.com>.
Brett Porter <brett.porter <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > > It's missing the timestamp, indicating to me that jar.pom might be
> > > turning off the build numbering? In which case it is correct to always
> > > use -SNAPSHOT but is a bug if that isn't being redownloaded when it
> > > changes.
> > >
> > > - Brett

Thanks for your fast reply.

This leads me to another question. How are the snapshot jars supposed to be
named? When using the ant-tasks to deploy a snapshot the resulting name doesnt
contain a timestamp, the file always is called ..-SNAPSHOT.jar in the
repository, while when using mvn2 there always seems to be a timestamp in the
name. Is this timestamp in the name somehow used to decide wether to download a
new snapshot? Or is this decision exclusively based on the metadata-xml files?

Christian

Re: [m2] ant tasks and SNAPSHOTs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
"localCopy" is because you've installed your own version which will be
used until the version update is next forced. If it is updating the
build number but still using the installed version, that is a bug to
be filed.

- Brett