Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Krish Palaniappan <kp...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/30 16:58:04 UTC

Question about using Struts with JAAS Login Modules

Hi,
Our web application is based on Struts and has a
LoginAction class that does the authentication against
a database store. I am trying to move this to use
(JBoss) Container based authentication therefore
leveraging the DatabaseServerLoginModule that JBoss
provides OOTB. Questions I have are:

I am assuming the whole point of using Login Modules
is so that there are no code changes required when
moving authentication from one data store to the other
(DB to LDAP, for example). So, I presume I shouldn't
be using JAAS callback handlers to implement this as
that would require code changes (new callback handlers
for new login modules) when the data store changes. Is
this assumption correct and if yes, how can this be
solved?

Given this, to migrate an existing app that has the
authentication code embedded in it, am I correct in
assuming that all the Login related classes should be
obsoleted and the configuration (XML) changes would
completely help achieve this objective?

Thanks,
krish