Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2005/09/21 23:03:55 UTC

0.9.7 ready to rock n' roll?

How close are we?  Are you sitting on a patch in your local checkout?

Friday I would like to tag a 0.9.7 candidate of apr/apr-util to consider
for release; and the -release- flavor will be that which is distributed
with httpd-2.0.55.  We've done this with httpd-2.1 alphas and using a
known, good version of apr/apr-util is vastly preferable to httpd's
arbitrary tags.

So if this question affects something you -need- to commit to 0.9, the
dead branch, please do so quickly so I pick up all desired fixes :)

Thanks!

Bill

Re: 0.9.7 ready to rock n' roll?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Jeff Trawick wrote:

>>We should do so for the passphrase cmd
>>and rewrite script modules as well, I suspect.
>
> rewrite definitely is regressed; didn't check passphrase; FWIW, seems
> like somebody within my earshot hits the piped logger problem every
> few months; never heard a complaint about the others

with the change to APR_SHELLCMD_ENV, you should be able (if you've
registered the .pl file type) to directly invoke rewritemap.pl as
a command, instead of using '/path/to/perl /path/to/rewritemap.pl'
so this is a win for all three.

Re: 0.9.7 ready to rock n' roll?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/22/05, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > On 9/21/05, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> >
> >>How close are we?  Are you sitting on a patch in your local checkout?
> >

> > The recent netware fixes have been so that we could eventually put
> > this into Apache 2.0, to resolve a regression from 1.3:
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi?rev=104019&view=rev
> > (need to run piped loggers via the shell)
> >
> > That was held up because the APR cmdtype processing on NetWare had
> > some assumptions about tbe address space in which the child ran.  The
> > assumptions weren't stated in the API, and a new API had to be added
> > to pass that info to APR.
> >
> > I played with this Apache change recently on Windows (set server/log.c
> > to run piped loggers via the shell), but I thought I noticed some
> > pop-up behavior which might indicate that APR on Windows needs some
> > tweaking in its support for running commands via the shell.  It would
> > be good for somebody else to have a look.
>
> So do I understand you simply want to backport the APR_SHELLCMD_ENV
> change for the piped logging?

y, now that Netware will do the right thing...

Re: 0.9.7 ready to rock n' roll?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On 9/21/05, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>>How close are we?  Are you sitting on a patch in your local checkout?
>

> The recent netware fixes have been so that we could eventually put
> this into Apache 2.0, to resolve a regression from 1.3:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi?rev=104019&view=rev
> (need to run piped loggers via the shell)
>
> That was held up because the APR cmdtype processing on NetWare had
> some assumptions about tbe address space in which the child ran.  The
> assumptions weren't stated in the API, and a new API had to be added
> to pass that info to APR.
>
> I played with this Apache change recently on Windows (set server/log.c
> to run piped loggers via the shell), but I thought I noticed some
> pop-up behavior which might indicate that APR on Windows needs some
> tweaking in its support for running commands via the shell.  It would
> be good for somebody else to have a look.

So do I understand you simply want to backport the APR_SHELLCMD_ENV
change for the piped logging?  We should do so for the passphrase cmd

Re: 0.9.7 ready to rock n' roll?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.