Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org> on 2003/08/26 21:42:57 UTC

Alpha

Check it out:

http://www.modpython.org/dist/mod_python-3.1.0a.tgz
http://www.modpython.org/dist/mod_python-3.1.0a.win32-py2.3.exe

The docs are here:

http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-3.1.0a/doc-html/
http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-3.1.0a/modpython.pdf

To the Apache folks on this list: before announcing this to a wider
audience - do you think we should move the tgz and windist files to
daedalus?

I'm inclined to think that it's OK on www.modpython.org, but mainly
because I'm lazy and I'd like to see how many people actually download it.

Grisha

Re: Alpha

Posted by David Fraser <da...@sjsoft.com>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

>Thanks for the patch, I'll add that in. BTW - if you need more things to
>do, setup.py could dig out the version from ../src/include/mpversion.h,
>then we wouldn't need to have it autoconf-generated. :-)

Patch attached :-) This is just a patch to setup.py.in, so the rename to
setup.py can presumably take place (though I'm not sure about the @APXS@)
I used a regular expression to search it in the hope that it will be
fairly robust.
I hope I have got the paths right - you do run it from the parent as
dist/setup.py, right?

>On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, David Fraser wrote:
>

>>Basically it provides an alternative method which is still easier than
>>manually copying (it's not as nice as the tk method because
>>it doesn't guide you to the expected directory in the first place -
>>because there doesn't seem to be a nice way to do that in the win32 api!)
>>

>I wonder if it might be the current working directory, but that's just a
>guess.

No, it actually just displays the entire directory tree, and you have to
start from My Computer.
You can pass in a Root but then it only displays subdirectories of that!
Actually we should really look up the directory in the registry I guess

David

Re: Alpha

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: Alpha

Posted by David Fraser <da...@sjsoft.com>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, David Fraser wrote:
>

>>One question - is it really neccessary to have the tkinter dependency in
>>the install?
>>

>Well... You have to give the user some way to specify where Apache is, so
>that the installer can place mod_python in the right location. The stock
>installer from python.org includes tk by default, so I thought it was
>safe.

Yes, it's just that we try do a minimal Python install for our end users...

>>It seems it is only required to ask for the directory of Apache in the
>>postinstall process...
>>

>Pretty much.
>

>>Would you be happy to accept a patch that removes it, or provides an
>>alternate way of specifying the directory if Tkinter is not installed?
>>

>If you can some up with something, that'd be great. In
>win32_postinstall.py, if you make askForApacheDir() fail gracefully if
>Tkinter is not there (with try/except), and then perhaps place
>mod_python.so into the Python directory instead (since you wouldn't know
>where Apache is), and adjust LoadModule in the final message accordingly.
>
>Grisha

I think the current handling is fine, it makes more sense for the user
to copy mod_python to the right place as it currently does.
But I've added a patch which will use the win32 extensions to let the
user browse to the right path if tk isn't installed.
I guess this just matches exactly what our users tend to have, so it
might not help anyone else, but I'd be grateful if it could be included.
Basically it provides an alternative method which is still easier than
manually copying (it's not as nice as the tk method because
it doesn't guide you to the expected directory in the first place -
because there doesn't seem to be a nice way to do that in the win32 api!)
The patch is attached. If I get time, I'll have a look at automatically
modifying the httpd.conf...

David

Re: Alpha

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: Alpha

Posted by David Fraser <da...@sjsoft.com>.
Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

>Check it out:
>
>http://www.modpython.org/dist/mod_python-3.1.0a.tgz
>http://www.modpython.org/dist/mod_python-3.1.0a.win32-py2.3.exe
>
>The docs are here:
>
>http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-3.1.0a/doc-html/
>http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-3.1.0a/modpython.pdf

Great, thanks for the release.

Re: Alpha

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Thom May wrote:

> I'd tend to argue we should so we can get it into apache's mirroring
> system. Although, I'm ambivalent for the alpha. Certainly for the full
> release this would seem to be goodness. Also, moving to daedalus makes
> it obvious to all concerned that this is an ASF sponsored project, which
> I think is no bad thing.

OK, moving them is easy, I just did it (*i think* - it's minotaur that
serves www.apache.org now?).

But I don't remember what to do to make download.cgi pick it up. Or should
we not bother with that at all and just point to www.apache.org/dist -
since there is probably only going to be a handful downloads.

Grisha

>> To the Apache folks on this list: before announcing this to a wider
>> audience - do you think we should move the tgz and windist files to
>> daedalus?
>
> I'd tend to argue we should so we can get it into apache's mirroring system.
> Although, I'm ambivalent for the alpha. Certainly for the full release this
> would seem to be goodness.
> Also, moving to daedalus makes it obvious to all concerned that this is an
> ASF sponsored project, which I think is no bad thing.

+1.  Start using the mirroring system early and get used to its workings.
It will be usefull to have some experience with it prior hitting 1.0.

Sander

Re: Alpha

Posted by Thom May <th...@apache.org>.
* Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy (grisha@apache.org) wrote :

> Check it out:
>
> http://www.modpython.org/dist/mod_python-3.1.0a.tgz
> http://www.modpython.org/dist/mod_python-3.1.0a.win32-py2.3.exe
>
> The docs are here:
>
> http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-3.1.0a/doc-html/
> http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-3.1.0a/modpython.pdf
>

> To the Apache folks on this list: before announcing this to a wider
> audience - do you think we should move the tgz and windist files to
> daedalus?

I'd tend to argue we should so we can get it into apache's mirroring system.
Although, I'm ambivalent for the alpha. Certainly for the full release this
would seem to be goodness.
Also, moving to daedalus makes it obvious to all concerned that this is an
ASF sponsored project, which I think is no bad thing.
-Thom