Posted to dev@samza.apache.org by Avi Flax <av...@aviflax.com> on 2016/02/08 21:39:32 UTC

Download page seems out of date

Hi all, I’ve been very interested in Samza for about a year and a half
and now I finally have an opportunity to build a system with it and
get hands-on experience. I’m excited to dig in.

While ramping up, I noticed that the downloads page on the site —

http://samza.apache.org/startup/download

— seems to be out of date. 0.10.0 was released in December, but the
source releases linked to on this page are 0.7.0 and 0.8.0, and the
XML block for inclusion in pom.xml files lists 0.8.0 as the version
number for all artifacts — shouldn’t they all be 0.10.0?

This is confusing, especially because the current version number isn’t
declared clearly anywhere in the site (that I could find). It would be
very helpful if there was a paragraph at the top of the downloads page
that declared this very clearly. (It would also be nice if there were
links to a release history and to the blog somewhere on the site, but
those are tangents.)

I checked the source repo and it seems the branch 0.10.0 contains
updated content for this page, so I guess it just hasn’t been
published yet… is there any specific reason for the delay? Is there
anything I can do to help?

Thanks!
Avi

Re: Download page seems out of date

Posted by Avi Flax <av...@aviflax.com>.
On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Yi Pan <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for point out the online doc problem! I messed the latest online doc
> up when fixing SAMZA-782. Now it should be fixed! Please check the latest
> online doc again and let us know if you see any further problems w/ it.

Looks great! My pleasure!

Re: Download page seems out of date

Posted by Yi Pan <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Avi,

Thanks for point out the online doc problem! I messed the latest online doc
up when fixing SAMZA-782. Now it should be fixed! Please check the latest
online doc again and let us know if you see any further problems w/ it.

Thanks a lot!

-Yi

Posted by Navina Ramesh <nr...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
Hi Avi,
Thanks for trying out, Samza.

Also, for pointing out the missing documentation. There is no specific
reason why the download pages weren't published. I will take a look into
what went missing and fill the gap.

You are right. The 0.10.0 branch is related to the release. If you want to
build from source and give it a shot, please do try.

Thanks!
Navina

--
Navina R.