Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Ed Williams <ch...@quik.com> on 2000/05/10 18:27:03 UTC

Newbie seeking a clue...

Hi Folks,
I'm getting into computers as a second career & subscribed to this list and
a few others to see what's going on. Now my brain hurts! I see my path and
interests as XML and clustered/shared processing, with open source. Any
thoughts on a systematic plan of attack to get up to speed on all this? I'm
a quick study, but feel as though I'm tilting at windmills. I guess it would
help to see who's using this stuff in real life, and how. My gut says that
eventually most business data will be in XML, which will allow increased
efficiencies by orders of magnitude (ala W.Edwards Deming) once we actually
know how this works. Any pointers to good self-paced courses, or folks
needing a dedicated but very green grunt are much appreciated. Sorry 'bout
the distraction, and thank you.
Ed Williams

Re: Newbie seeking a clue...

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
Don't expect an order of magnitude increase in efficiencies quite yet!
XML definitely imposes an overhead for those pointy brackets.  In the long
run, it's human readable, and more important, people AGREE on it.  There's a bit
of a network effect going on here.

Places to start:

	http://xml.apache.org (the best!)
	http://www.ibm.com/xml (tutorials, other good stuff, etc.)
	http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com  (lots of code)
	http://www.xml.org/  (industry consortium, much good stuff)

That oughta keep you busy for a while...  :-)

Mike